Can Anyone Help Setting Up Tripplite UPS

I have an unRaid server running version 6.6.4, it's been plugged into a Tripplite SMART500RT1U UPS for awhile just as a dumb unit.  Lately we've been experiencing some power issues in our area and after the fourth hard shutdown in two weeks I decided to try and use the smart features to try and setup auto shutdowns.  I was hoping it would be fairly straight forward, plug in the USB cable, change some settings etc but no such luck. 

I've fiddle with some of the settings but best I can come up with is a status message that says "lost communication."  I saw mention by someone using the same UPS of running NUT, but can't find any other reference to it and don't know what it is.  I've looked at the online manual and it hasn't gotten me any closer.  Here are my current settings:

1785837441_UPSSettings30.jpg.0e9f7c2a3845a0fe0c253ab62b00a25f.jpg

I've tried various combinations of different UPS Cable types and UPS types to no avail.  Is there a plugin I need to be running?  Any other suggestions?

Edited by UncleDirtNap

I don't think the Tripplite uses the same protocol as the APC, that being said you won't be able to get the plugin to read the UPS status.  What you might consider is buying a cheap very small APC UPS with a USB port and connect that to your Unraid setup for monitoring the state of the power in your home.  You would still have the array connected to the Tripplite 1500 but use the monitoring data from the small APC to know when a shutdown is needed.  You can configure the plugin in Unraid to shut down after the system has been on UPS power for 3 minutes for example.

The brilliant thing about this arrangement is that you don't even need the apcupsd compatible unit to be connected to the server. As long as an apcupsd can see the UPS on one station, you can connect to that "master" station to send all the rest of the computers in the house shutdown signals. Just be sure the apcupsd master is the last one to shut down. Make sure your network infrastructure stays live until last call as well.

I have all the desktops set for shutdown after 3 minutes, and the servers after 5 and 10 minutes. Allows for a nice and tidy staged power shutdown.

uhhh.

you need an SNMP card for it.  and then the card will send network commands to your windows VM's to shut it down.  iirc there is an application you can use.  but i dont think it works for the unraid OS itself.  so you might have to look into only shutting down the VM's to minimize data corruption.  

2 hours ago, charleslam said:

uhhh.

you need an SNMP card for it.  and then the card will send network commands to your windows VM's to shut it down.  iirc there is an application you can use.  but i dont think it works for the unraid OS itself.  so you might have to look into only shutting down the VM's to minimize data corruption.  

No, you don't.  If you are using apcupsd to talk to the physically connected UPS you can connect other apcupsd instances to that one using the "net" UPS type in acpupsd.  Effectively this lets other computers that run apcupsd (using "net") see the status of the apcupsd instance that actually has a UPS connected to it.  The communication is between the instances of apcupsd not between the servers and the UPS (which the SNMP card could be used for); only one server is talking to the UPS in this setup.

Edited by WizADSL
clarification
13 hours ago, charleslam said:

if unraid has that functionality with tripplite UPS' thats great.  still need to buy the card.  the functionality is pretty limited without one.  having it plug in with usb wont send a shutdown command when the battery is low.  i dont think it keeps battery stats without one.  

You are missing the point of the thread. While the original question was about getting the tripplite working directly, it changed to a discussion about using apcupsd to monitor the status of the line power and execute actions when an outage is detected. While directly monitoring the tripplite would be nice, it's not necessary as long as there is a apcupsd installation somewhere on the network to do the monitoring. I personally use multiple massive eaton powerware 2KVA units to keep much of my tech infrastructure running, but they are not monitored at all. A single cheap apc unit's usb is connected to one of my unraid servers to provide the apcupsd signaling, but the actual power from the apc is not connected. The unraid server power goes to the large unit. All the rest of the computers and VM's run apcupsd in slave mode to detect when to shut down.