Parity disk disabled, during Unbalance, disk 5 error

Kind of a complicated scenario...

1. I was running Unbalance to clear out disk 11 so that I can reformat it to XFS. This will be the 4th of my array to be converted.
  2. While the move was occurring, disk 5 suddenly showed "Current pending sector" & "Offline uncorrectable" counts.
  3. About this same time, Parity became disabled in my array.
  4. Concurrent to all of this, I am running a preclear on a new disk (to be a spare).

I have captured my log and have it saved to my laptop.

I cannot get a smart report from Parity 2 because it is currently disabled.

Disk 5 still shows the 'Current pending sector' & "Offline uncorrectable" counts because I haven't done anything yet.

My questions:
1. Should I cancel the preclear and address Parity, Disk 5 (almost done with 2nd pass of 3, I don't currently have a spare drive)?
2. Parity - I know I will need to bring down the array so that I can retest it.  Do I need to do anything besides stop the array, remove Parity 2, start the array, run the long SMART test?

3: Disk 5 - I plan to run a long SMART test after I restart the array. Anything else I should do, or do in a different order?

4. Odd timing - the odd timing of both 5 & Parity throwing errors at the same time (or within a short time window) makes me want to verify what controllers they are on.  Am I reading too much into the timing?

5. This is my 2nd disabled disk in 7 days (different disk last time) and I am running Marvel based controller cards (2x h310's are on their way) - are these the types of issues that the marvel controllers might cause?

Am I missing anything?

bluesmaster-diagnostics-20181111-1009.zip

Edited by whipdancer
typo

Parity, not parity2, is the one disable, disk dropped offline so there's no SMART, but almost certainly the problem is the SAS2LP, not the disk.

Disk5 is failing and needs to be replaced.

First thing I would do would be to replace the SAS2LP with an LSI, or you risk more issues during the rebuild, then replace disk5 and resync parity at the same time, assuming SMART for parity looks OK.

18 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Parity, not parity2, is the one disable, disk dropped offline so there's no SMART, but almost certainly the problem is the SAS2LP, not the disk.

Disk5 is failing and needs to be replaced.

First thing I would do would be to replace the SAS2LP with an LSI, or you risk more issues during the rebuild, then replace disk5 and resync parity at the same time, assuming SMART for parity looks OK.

@johnnie.black & @jonathanm
Thanks for the feedback, I do appreciate it.

Sorry, yes it is parity (not parity2), typo.

I'm waiting on 2 Dell H310 controllers to come in (should be here by the end of the week).

I've shutdown all my dockers for now, canceled the parity check, and am allowing the preclear to finish on my newest drive (which I guess I will use to replace 5).

The plan being to make no changes to the system until I get the new controller cards;

Then replace the cards and the drive;

Then resync (assuming smart for parity looks ok).