[Solved] HGST 3TB Disks Cause Kernel Panic and Crash

Hey guys i'm having the weirdest issue and i'm hoping someone can help.

First off im using an older 24 - bay supermicro server with 3 x AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards in it and i already have 2 other 3TB hard disks running just fine in this setup.

I bought some refurb hard disks off of ebay (newegg 55$ 3TB HGST) and as normal i put them into their caddies and pushed them into the hot swap bays and bam unraid locks up with a kernel panic.

Upon restart i get a kernel panic on boot...i tried with all 3 new drives inserted....tried putting in one at a time. All has the same issues.. as soon as i remove them all boots up no problem and chugs along as usual.

At first i was thinking maybe a compatibility issue with the AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards as they are older but i have a WD and SG 3tb disk already in the array with no issues...... any help would be greatly appreciated 

kernel Panic screenshot

tower-diagnostics-20181111-2123.zip

Edited by mikefallen
5 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

This is likely the problem, there are known issues with these controllers and newer devices, not related to size, e.g., I tried some time ago and got kernel panics with small SSDs.

Just weird because i have samsung SSD's in there as well with 0 problems 

Edited by mikefallen
3 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

It's not all devices, it's some recent devices.

Do you know if there's any other pci-x cards that have better support for newer hard drives?

I guess i could update to a newer motherboard cpu combo to get PCIe .....but i'm not sure what the compatibility with the backplane would be like... this backplane has 1 sata connector for every disk not a SFF-8087 connector.

Just don't wanna spend a bunch of money for it to be incompatible....