Backupdestination for Friends and Family

parsec

Hi, does any have good ideas of what software setup will be the best for me to provide family and friends with a backup destination.
The backups will be of data only, biggest risk is theft or loss of laptops, so no need for baremetal functionality.
Focus is more on backup, less on syncfunctionality

-Connecting and backing up through the internet and not only on LAN.
-An overview of the backup status of the workstations, so I can review if they are successfully backed up recently. (keeping an eye on the "kids")
-Restoring from either loss of laptops, harddrive failure, ransomware or theft should be easy.
-Solution should work without a need to establish VPNs when backing up.
-A client side encryption, so I can't read their data.

Making space available, seem to be relative simple, but I have found nothing that gives me both source encryption and backupstatus overview. Any good ideas??.

How about Nextcloud? I know it's more of a syncing thing, but you also have support for mobile and can sync stuff from your phones and tablets if you wish. Let Unraid handle an extra step of backing up your synced folders. Everything else without a VPN isn't that great secure solution. At least there isn't a solution that i know of.

Yeah. thanks and I did read up on it.

But as with Nextcloud, I can't figure out, how I can keep track of the "succesfullness" of the backups.

Maybe what I am looking for is just not very relevant for Unraiders.

But I feel it is just around the corner, like there is something I have not realized, one last search I need to do.

And then it will be there.. an ability to send invites, people can download clients, backups will happen, both clients and server can keep track of the success, and the storage use, and data will be source encrypted.... I just need to find it.  :)

If you have more than two or three minio instances to keep up with, I'd recommend nextcloud instead. One nextcloud install services as many different users as you want, and you can limit each user to a specific quota to keep them from affecting other users by running you out of space.

Plus, nextcloud is more capable, you can let your users sync their phones and tablets as well, and allow multiple duplicati backups to the same user if you wish.

Managing multiple minio dockers didn't make sense for me, when one nextcloud install took care of it all.

Yes, I looked into Nextcloud, but with the features comes complexity, and what I like about Minio, is that it does exactly what I want.. nothing more, nothing less.

I don't want the sync or all the other awesome things that Nextcloud can do... as with the features, comes a greater need for uptime.

But thanks for the input :)

6 minutes ago, parsec said:

Yes, I looked into Nextcloud, but with the features comes complexity, and what I like about Minio, is that it does exactly what I want.. nothing more, nothing less.

I don't want the sync or all the other awesome things that Nextcloud can do... as with the features, comes a greater need for uptime.

But thanks for the input :)

I feel the exact same way.  I set up Minio and Duplicati purely as a replacement for CrashPlan for my family members. I do not want to get into supporting them using NextCloud.

That being said, I have NextCloud up and running my personal use.

• 4 months later...

I know this is an older thread however, wanted to get your thoughts on how well your solution is working. I too am working with multiple Minio containers however, instead of Duplicati, I am testing Arq (Mac as it closely mimics Time Machine) and Cloudberry (MS Server and MS Workstations).

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

-MW

I ended up with just one Minio docker and then just create multiple containers inside.

The clients are using Duplicati installed as a service, backing up into each their Minio containers. Duplicati encrypts the backups, and they all use different keys.

After backup duplicati sends a http string to https://www.duplicati-monitoring.com, which then again sends me daily emails with status.

I have run a few restore tests, and it all seems to work fine.

All the notes about installation, keys, restore process, etc, is kept at Lastpass. So when things turn bad, i don't need to rethink what to do, just logon to Lastpass and follow my own instructions :)

For me this is exactly what I need, and I consider the problem solved... for now at least.