Random Reboots

meestark

Diagnostics and syslog attached from FCP Troubleshooting mode.

My system has been getting random reboots going on a year now.  This is a not a lockup - it is a hard reboot, as if someone hit the reset switch.  Sometimes lasts a few weeks, sometimes only a few days between reboots.  Sometimes reboots several times in a few days.  Nothing in the syslog at the time of reboot (I've been leaving ssh connected from another machine tailing the syslog for a while now, and nothing ever shows in the syslog, just like the attache syslog)

Things I've tested/swapped so far:

• Ran Memtest for 24hours
  • Tried new PSU
  • Bypassed SATA to Molex power adapters
  • Confirmed UPS power is working properly.
  • Installed telegraf/grafana to monitor CPU temperatures
  • Replaced CPU fan/heatsink

I have no idea what else to look at, hoping the diagnostics will help the community track down my issue

About my system:

AsRock Z87 Extreme 6

Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1241 v3 @ 3.50GHz

Rosewill RSV-L4412 4U Server Chassis

Seasonic X Series X650 Gold

10 attached HDDs (mix of 2,3,4TB drives and one 500GB Cache drive)

16GB Memory (2x8GB)

Dockers running: plex, sabnzbd, sonarr, radarr, deluge, tautulli, duckdns, hddtemp, homeassisant, telegraf, grafana, influxdb, ombi, unifi, nzbhydra2

ds9-diagnostics-20181112-2031.zip

FCPsyslog_tail.txt

Edited by meestark
4 hours ago, meestark said:

as if someone hit the reset switch. 

Is this even a remote possibility?  I seem to recall small children and cats being culprits in a few cases over the years.  (Cats are attracted by the nearby LED lights.) I would suggest pulling the reset switch connector for the case at the MB just in case you have a defective switch.  Although, this would be a new one...) 

I don't recall which Plugin it is, but there is a plugin that will record System Logs to USB for this very reason, but you appear to have something in place to do the same thing. 

I had the same issue and it ended up being I had a bad Motherboard. I discovered it when I would loose my USB stick when I was trying to write to it. I discovered in so many words I was loosing my USB header and I guess unRAID doesn't like it when it can't read/write to the USB when it wants to. 

Swapped out Motherboard and it worked well for another couple of years. Now I'm on a different setup, but that's what I learned it to be. 

12 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Is this even a remote possibility?  I seem to recall small children and cats being culprits in a few cases over the years.  (Cats are attracted by the nearby LED lights.) I would suggest pulling the reset switch connector for the case at the MB just in case you have a defective switch.  Although, this would be a new one...) 

The physical pressing of is not a possibility (no pets, no kids) but I can definitely disconnect the Reset SW header and see!

8 minutes ago, Squid said:

Another remote possibility is dust bunnies.  They do conduct electricity

So clean in there I could eat off it!

3 minutes ago, kizer said:

I don't recall which Plugin it is, but there is a plugin that will record System Logs to USB for this very reason, but you appear to have something in place to do the same thing. 

I had the same issue and it ended up being I had a bad Motherboard. I discovered it when I would loose my USB stick when I was trying to write to it. I discovered in so many words I was loosing my USB header and I guess unRAID doesn't like it when it can't read/write to the USB when it wants to. 

Swapped out Motherboard and it worked well for another couple of years. Now I'm on a different setup, but that's what I learned it to be. 

Yeah that's the Troubleshooting mode in the Fix Common Problems plugin.  Bad motherboard is definitely a possibility, but this is a tough one to really test!

1 minute ago, John_M said:

It would be useful to confirm that the BIOS is configured not to restart when power is restored after an outage, so as to eliminate a number of possibilities. In other words, with situations involving the loss of power it should stay off and not reboot.

BIOS is set to not power on after power outage.  I have confirmed this already when I pulled power to the UPS - server performed a graceful shutdown and stayed shut down.

1 hour ago, meestark said:

BIOS is set to not power on after power outage.  I have confirmed this already when I pulled power to the UPS - server performed a graceful shutdown and stayed shut down.

Moot point as your BIOS is set correctly (and you have a UPS), but that test wouldn't have worked anyways since it shutdown cleanly.  To test that BIOS setting you have to pull the power cord from the server.