Upgrading from 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 1:00 PM, Squid said:

I would

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I did and I upgraded to 6.6.5 but then lost my ability to connect to SMB with my windows systems.  So I switched back  to my 5.0 install.  This is very disappointing :(

Edited by dasoul
23 minutes ago, dasoul said:

I did and I upgraded to 6.6.5 but then lost my ability to connect to SMB with my windows systems.  So I switched back  to my 5.0 install.  This is very disappointing :(

That is not progress. Why didn't you ask for further advice? There is a whole thread of suggestions about fixing Windows connection issues. Possibly your problem was simply a new IP or just the typical Windows delay in recognizing other computers on the network.

We can help you with 6.6.5, but you're not going to get much help with V5. And even if your aren't really interested in some of the new features like dockers and VMs, V6 is a much better NAS than V5, with Notifications to alert you when something needs attention, and much better troubleshooting tools.

• Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, trurl said:

That is not progress. Why didn't you ask for further advice? There is a whole thread of suggestions about fixing Windows connection issues. Possibly your problem was simply a new IP or just the typical Windows delay in recognizing other computers on the network.

We can help you with 6.6.5, but you're not going to get much help with V5. And even if your aren't really interested in some of the new features like dockers and VMs, V6 is a much better NAS than V5, with Notifications to alert you when something needs attention, and much better troubleshooting tools.

Yup I understand.  I needed to get things back up and running.  I could connect to unraid 6 web gui so I know that was working and I looked at tons of articles on the forum here about SMB but ultimately needed to go back to 5 to put the media back online. When I get some time I will try again.  I tried connected to my local domain and not connected to the domain.  In any case I know the ip address was fine.  Will give it another go when I get a chance.  FYI I did a straight flash wipe build.  Added my drives into the array.  Going to 6 appears to require a rebuild of the parity so there was no real reason for me to wait off and rebuild parity in version 5 before trying to upgrade.  Now if there is some way to keep parity when upgrading to 6 I would really appreciate knowing how to do that.  I figure maybe its possible to copy over a few files and move forward without having to rebuild parity.  Any clue on that?

There is no reason to rebuild parity when upgrading. Don't know where you got that idea. And it is simple to keep your disk assignments.

Starting with no disks assigned is the reason it wanted to build parity. The same would have happened if you did that in V5.

You can New Config with valid parity. I don't remember but I expect New Config with valid parity is possible in V5 also.

When you are ready to try again, ask before doing anything. Have you read the Upgrading to V6 wiki? I suggest at least keeping your disk assignments (and key of course). But even if you don't, a New Config with valid parity will let you avoid rebuilding parity. Here is the link to the wiki article:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

Also, if starting from scratch then you would probably have to enable SMB before any of your shares would be available on the network. There are probably a lot of settings that you can just copy over from your V5 config folder so you don't have to do them all over. That wiki article will explain the files on flash.