DVR app?

mrbilky

46 minutes ago, mrbilky said:

Hey folks I just installed a firestick and set up my plex server up on it is there an app or plugin for setting up a DVR on my unRAID box? I'm slowly getting ready to cut the cord with verizon tv when my 2 year discount ends or at least make it less dependent upon

A DVR app for unRAID assumes you have content available that you can record locally.  How are you planning on getting the content you wish to record?  If you will be using a service such as YouTube TV, Sling, Hulu Live TV, PS Vue, etc. (or whatever is available in your local market) they all have their own DVR services that store recorded content in the cloud.  AFAIK, they do not have options for local storage of recorded content.

If you plan to get OTA content through a device such as an HDHomeRun or other OTA tuner, that can be recorded and stored on your unRAID NAS.  I use HDHomeRun tuners but I opted for the Plex Live TV and DVR integration with my tuners rather than the DVR provided by Silicon Dust.  The Plex DVR records OTA content to my unRAID TVShows share.

Other OTA tuners also have local recording/storage options.

What may be available to you as far as DVR options is very much dependent upon how your content will be delivered to you.

Edited by Hoopster
16 minutes ago, John_M said:

Since you already have Plex you could use its built-in DVR facility. It works with my HD Homerun DVB-T box.

12 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

A DVR app for unRAID assumes you have content available that you can record locally.  How are you planning on getting the content you wish to record?  If you will be using a service such as YouTube TV, Sling, Hulu Live TV, PS Vue, etc. (or whatever is available in your local market) they all have their own DVR services that store recorded content in the cloud.  AFAIK, they do no have options for local storage of recorded content.

If you plan to get OTA content through a device such as an HDHomeRun or other OTA tuner, that can be recorded and stored on your unRAID NAS.  I use HDHomeRun tuners but I opted for the Plex Live TV and DVR integration with my tuners rather than the DVR provided by Silicon Dust.  The Plex DVR records OTA content to my unRAID TVShows share.

Other OTA tuners also have local recording/storage options.

What may be available to you as far as DVR options is very much dependent upon how your content will be delivered to you.

Great I was thinking along those lines of the HDHomeRun as I have PlexPass and I want to use my server as the storage device I read that Verizon offers one of those cable cards but still researching that option thanks for the input gentleman!