Backup a primary unRAID to a secondary unRAID

I would like to request the ability to easily (and possibly securely/remotely) backup the data on a primary unRAID system to a secondary unRAID system.

Could a feature be added that allows a setup like this in the GUI?  Something that sets up a secure link between the systems, be they local or remote and backs up on a schedule?  I know RClone and Rsync are already plugin options, but I'm looking for something baked into unRAID.

Perhaps Limetech could even offer a discounted two system bundle on matching licenses for creating this kind of setup?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, -Daedalus said:

+1

I've love something like this as well.

To expand on this: It would be great to be able to setup sync options as well, something like:

Pick your share (specific, all)

Pick your sync type (one-way backup, bidirectional sync)

Pick your schedule (day, month, etc.)

Yep...really like these additions too.

:)

+1 from me too.

I found this which might be really useful even as a simple docker hosted on both instances -  

https://gist.github.com/felixlindemann/dfee61a20bbd838cdb26f44cc5552404

If you could take a simple system path for source and target/s to sync with this might be both fast and (reasonably) secure? 

I know there are sync dockers already but having a Limetech supported default solution would be great and might even encourage users to consider buying more licenses for second servers... 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, laterdaze said:

+1

I do something similar with pfsense/OpenVPN and rclone.  Remote unRAID systems can sync folders to each other.  I suggested WireGuard VPN be supported natively by the unRAID OS.  That would make something like this trivial.

The idea behind Wireguard appears to be good, but a worrying thing about Wireguard is that if you go to their site and look at the “Work in Progress” page it says that it is not yet complete and ready for use.

I'm currently using two cold storage ubuntu boxes with luckybackup installed to automate an rsync for 50% of my main tower to each PC, containing 8TB drives

If you are buying this amount of storage and it is that important, perhaps it is time to migrate to tape backup solution?