Build Update HELP!!!

caoc10

Hi!
I'm new around here so I don't know if this is the correct place to put my doubts.

So, nowadays my config is like that:

• HDD: 1 x 6TB HDD, 1x 3TB HDD and 1x 1TB HDD
  • No parity disk yet and no cache disk.
  • CPU: Intel Celeron G3930 (dual core with no hyperthreading)
  • RAM: 8gb GSkill DDR4
  • GPU: None

The main use that I give to the server is as NAS Server with shared folders to store photos, movies and files that are connected to Kodi.
I also use it as cloud (opened through the web for me and my family to use) using the Nextcloud and MySql Apps and for download files direct to the server using JDownloader and Deluge.

I would like to improve the speed of the files upload and download either for the cloud and for the shared folders.

In a near future I would also like to do some virtualization with it putting a Windows VM running for basic image editing and some games (they are not powerfull games).

So, in order to improve the read and write speeds, I was thinking in add an SSD to the build as a Cache Drive. But, after some research I've identified that maybe I won't have any gain once that I don't have a Parity Drive.

Is this true?
What improvements and updates do you suggest?

Thank you for all your help!

Without parity, the cache drive would only help were it an SSD.  Then you would just get the standard improvements of writing a file to SSD vs Spinner...so it could be massive, or it could be minimal depending on a lot of factors.

For the app based dockers, this should not matter unless they are using heavy encryption.  Hows your CPU usage when the server is active?

I'd get a cheap small SSD for a few bucks and try it with it assigned to cache and not, 

One note to make is that the biggest factor in all of this is the network, you can isolate network vs server issues using the disk speed docker to test your disk capabilities, if they are nearly spec the it may be a network issue...which you would isolate using an SSD and seeing "no" improvement.

Just my thoughts!

My CPU usage it's normally between 10 and 20%. Although sometimes it reaches 50 and 100%!
My RAM is always pretty empty (around 20/25% full).

I will try to buy a 128gb SSD and test if there are improvements in speed.

I don't understand you last quote.
You said that I can use the Disk Speed Docker to test my disk, although I din't understand what you mean with "which you would isolate using an SSD and seeing "no" improvement."
If the problems are not in the disks, and I bought an SSD it will improve?

Thank you.

The point I was making is that if you install an SSD cache drive and see no change in write speed, then it is likely to be an issue with the network rather than the drive.  It could still be a disk controller issue, but those are rare.

Another test you can do is pulling a file from the server to another system, if that is slow as well then you have another data point.

What motherboard are you using?