Dilemma over parity vs. disk

EDalcin

2 minutes ago, EDalcin said:

To be safe, should I replace the 500GB disks + 1TB disk (smart issues) with one 2TB, or should I add the 2TB Disk as a second parity disk?

Would be best to post the diagnostics so we can see the smart issues to better advise on what the best course of action should be.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, EDalcin said:

SAMSUNG_HD502HI_S1ZVJ50S804910-20181114-1754.txt

As far as I'm concerned, nothing wrong with this drive short of a single UDMA error which is usually caused by cabling.

16 minutes ago, EDalcin said:

SAMSUNG_HD502HI_S1ZVJ60Z705103-20181114-1753.txt

I'd replace this 175 uncorrectable errors

17 minutes ago, EDalcin said:

ST1000DM010-2EP102_Z9AQF37N-20181114-1752.txt

Single uncorrectable error, which I personally wouldn't be that worried about just yet.

27 minutes ago, EDalcin said:

should I replace the 500GB disks + 1TB disk (smart issues) with one 2TB, or should I add the 2TB Disk as a second parity disk?

With only 4 data drives, my opinion is that 2 parity drives isn't of that much value.  I'd replace the 1x500 for sure, debateable if you'd also want to replace the other 500 and the 1TB.

Not a super straightforward procedure to replace multiple drives simultaneously, but its not particularly complicated.  Just ask for help when you're ready to go.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, scubieman said:

Should post your free storage? You could move data off the 500gb then replace a different drive.

From the picture posted in the OP, I see about 1TB used. He could easily ditch the bad drives and still have plenty of free space, even without buying a new drive right now.

@EDalcin, I would seriously consider moving the data to the healthy drives and just removing all the questionable ones. It's not worth the headache trying to keep up with marginal drives playing russian roulette with which drive failure is going to cause data loss.

• Like 2
From the picture posted in the OP, I see about 1TB used. He could easily ditch the bad drives and still have plenty of free space, even without buying a new drive right now.

[mention=83556]EDalcin[/mention], I would seriously consider moving the data to the healthy drives and just removing all the questionable ones. It's not worth the headache trying to keep up with marginal drives playing russian roulette with which drive failure is going to cause data loss.
Well said...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk