Hiding folders from other users

gxs

Hey

I'm about to move a large organization to unRaid and since they have a whole but load of departments I would like for them to only see the folders to reduce the clutter and confusion.

Below parameter seem to do the trick when adding to Samba extra configuration but it would be nice for someone to confirm it before I muck something up.

access based share enum = Yes

Is this the way to go or is there another way?

Just to add... I have found an old post saying that setting the share to no access hides them but that never worked for me.

Cheers

Edited by gxs
5 hours ago, gxs said:

is there another way?

Well, one way to do it is to export the restricted shares as hidden, and publish shortcuts pointing directly at the hidden shares for people to use, or map them to drive letters if that works better. That way any general network browsing will only show what you want everyone to have access to, and access to specific shares will only be available if directly typed in or with predefined access links.

User name login restrictions are handled the same whether the share is exported hidden or not, so for example you can have read only access for one user name and full access for another, and the share can show in the network browser or be hidden.