Which drives to buy?

scubieman

I bought a r710 with 8 2.5" drives. Right now I can get a 2tb 2.5" Seagate for 80 bucks. But it's a laptop hard drive. If I want Enterprise I will look to spend way more money for same thing. I dont use my server hard like business does. My cache drives are Enterprise however.

Do you recommend using laptop drives, man up and buy Enterprise or buy Enterprise 3.5" and use a ribbon extender for them? Similiar to picture below.

I figure if laptop drives fail as long as I have a parity it's not a big deal I just replace ASAP.7f628233e4241d0c619528be6aaf32d6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, scubieman said:

I figure if laptop drives fail as long as I have a parity it's not a big deal I just replace ASAP

Be careful with that attitude towards drive failure. As long as you are confident that all your drives are healthy, great. As soon as you don't like the way a drive looks at you, examine it thoroughly, and replace it if it smells funny. I'm being a smart ass on purpose, because I personally have lost data because I figured, hey, I've got parity, who cares if a drive fails, I'll replace it. It worked great until one of the drives I DIDN'T suspect was bad failed outright, and one of the drives I was watching to see if it failed kicked up errors while rebuilding the failed drive and corrupted the rebuild.

Bottom line, parity isn't a magic bullet for drive failure. ALL remaining drives must perform perfectly to rebuild a failed drive, not just the parity drive.