how you use OpenVPN with unraid

comet424

hi I tried googling  but cant find info  how you setup  OpenVPN client

I installed all 3  open vpns from the app store.. couldn't get the OpenVPN-as  to even work like th video showed

but what I want is to run in a user script   connect to my sisters Pfsense Router over the internet.. and then run my Rsync commands.. then when done it disconnects the OpenVPN client..

but I cant find the commands for this  how to do it

On 11/15/2018 at 8:10 PM, comet424 said:

I tried the OpenVPN client app  but it says choose file  but its not clickable  so cant even import the OpenVPN config file

Same deal; it will not let me choose a file.  Seems very straightforward other than that.  Can someone advise?

Create a folder in the root of the flash drive called openvpn

Toss the .ovpn file into it.

Then on Settings you can select the file via the dropdown

From the OP of the support thread:

Unpack your provider certificate/files to /boot/openvpn (create that folder if it's not exist) , can now be several ovpn files.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Squid said:

Toss the .ovpn file into it.

Then on Settings you can select the file via the dropdown

From the OP of the support thread:

Thank you for the prompt response!  Creating the "openvpn" folder in /root did not work, however, putting it in /boot/openvpn did.  Thanks!

4 minutes ago, sisren said:

Creating the "openvpn" folder in /root did not work, however, putting it in /boot/openvpn did.

That's because

2 hours ago, Squid said:

implies creating a folder called openvpn in the /boot folder (which is where the flash drive is mounted), not in the /root folder (which exists only in RAM and is lost when the system is rebooted).

• Like 1

sorry the delay  i havent been around... ill try those tommorow..  as for the setting up  ya i skimmed that but couldnt get that one to work  server mode keeps giving me a page cant be found  plus i wanna connect to my PFsense OpenVPN Server  

in a script file  so when  my Rysnc schedule starts up it connects OpenVPN first then Rysncs the data.. then Closes the connection with VPN  inside the script file

ok so i tested that  made a folder called openvpn  in the flash folder    and then settings and imported it... and i tried connecting to make sure it worked.. and it did..

now how do i write the command line for it to connect to the openvpn server  run my rsync script then disconnect openvpn client  till the next time the user script is scheduled to run again

I tried

OpenVPN -config <name of file>.ovpn 

but just gives me an error doesn't connect

I tried

openvpn -config -connect-retry mitchshouse.ovpn

I tried

openvpn --config <name of file>.ovpn     (with the double dash like shows in program when you just type OpenVPN)     

openvpn --config -connect-retry mitchshouse.ovpn

here is the error  as I said googled doesn't help

root@Tower:~# openvpn --config mitchshouse.ovpn
Options error: In [CMD-LINE]:1: Error opening configuration file: mitchshouse.ovpn
Use --help for more information.
root@Tower:~# openvpn -config -connect-retry mitchshouse.ovpn
Options error: I'm trying to parse "-config" as an --option parameter but I don't see a leading '--'

root@Tower:~# openvpn --config -connect-retry mitchshouse.ovpn
Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in [CMD-LINE]:1: config (2.4.6)

Edited by comet424

I tried this  just taking a guess but its trying to connect on 1194 when the file says 1196

root@Tower:~# openvpn --config /boot/openvpn/mitchshouse.ovpn
Fri Nov 23 09:26:32 2018 OpenVPN 2.4.6 x86_64-slackware-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Apr 26 2018
Fri Nov 23 09:26:32 2018 library versions: OpenSSL 1.0.2o  27 Mar 2018, LZO 2.10
Fri Nov 23 09:26:32 2018 TCP/UDP: Preserving recently used remote address: [AF_INET]x.x.x.x:1196
Fri Nov 23 09:26:32 2018 TCP/UDP: Socket bind failed on local address [AF_INET][undef]:1194: Address already in use (errno=98)Fri Nov 23 09:26:32 2018 Exiting due to fatal error

5 hours ago, comet424 said:

Did you try that in order to see how to form the command with the correct options? You can't guess how commands are supposed to be formed. You've been round this loop several times before in other threads, complaining that your server did what you told it to do instead of what you wanted it to do. I know you have a problem with dyslexia, but computers are very unforgiving of syntax errors. I don't use OpenVPN so I can't advise how to use it but you have got to get the command itself exactly right and you have to to get the format of the configuration file exactly right too.

Perhaps this is a clue:

Fri Nov 23 09:26:32 2018 TCP/UDP: Socket bind failed on local address [AF_INET][undef]:1194: Address already in use (errno=98)Fri Nov 23 09:26:32 2018 Exiting due to fatal error

See the bit that says "Address already in use"?

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, lionel.pereira85 said:

OK... I'm confused... I never setup a password in the docker, and I cannot see any info on what the default is.

You have posted in a forum discussion about OpenVPN and your screenshot is of Deluge.  The two are not related.

BTW, in general if you go to the Dockerhub or Github links provided in the the first post of the docker container support forum, you will find the documentation that tells you what the default user name and password is (if one exists).

On 10/6/2019 at 8:39 PM, Hoopster said:

You have posted in a forum discussion about OpenVPN and your screenshot is of Deluge.  The two are not related.

BTW, in general if you go to the Dockerhub or Github links provided in the the first post of the docker container support forum, you will find the documentation that tells you what the default user name and password is (if one exists).

My bad! I had mor than one window open! Sorry about that.