Lost configuration!

kennelm

All,

I am helping a friend recover from a USB issue that resulted in a non-bootable unraid server.  I repaired the USB drive, but it looks like the unraid configuration file got deleted somehow.  Fortunately, I see that the Plus key is still intact.   Anyway, this much I know:

There was:

1 8TB parity drive

4 4Tb data drives

1 500GB M.2 cache drive

The server has 2 spare 4TB data drives.  I am not sure which two of the 6 4TB drives are the spares.  

I am not sure which data drive was disk1, disk2, etc.  But I am certain the 8TB drive was parity. 

I have another unraid server that I could use to evaluate the data drives to see if they are formatted or otherwise contain data.

What is the best way to recreate the lost configuration?  

Thanks!

Edited by kennelm

OK, I've determined which of the 4TB drives hold data.  I slid all six of the 4TB drives into my existing array (one by one) and I determined with 4 are xfs and which 2 are precleared/unformatted.

So, now I know exactly which drive is parity and which 4 drives are data drives.  I just don't know the order (disk1, disk2, etc.)

Any ideas on next steps?

Can I just assign the 4 data drives (in no particular order), the parity drive, and the cache drive and start the array?  I do NOT want the data drives to be formatted or otherwise changed.   If parity is no longer valid, I assume it will be recalculated.

Edited by kennelm
With single parity data disk order is not important, just assign all disks, check parity is already valid ans start the array, then run a parity check, a few sync errors are expected because of you mounting the disks outside the array.
Thanks, Johnnie. I thought so, but wanted to be absolutely certain. The data drives have a ton of media that would be painful to recreate.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk