M1015 freezing and or BIOS conflict

Hello all. Been fighting with this for a week now trying to find a solution. Here are my specs:

AMD 2970wx

ASRock Fatallity Professional Gaming x399 motherboard

gtx 1080 x2 Gigabyte (currently 1 installed)

IBM M1015 (IT firmware)

Intell SAS expander RES2SV240 E91267-203

Kingston Technology HyperX Fury Black 16GB 2933MHz DDR4 (96GB)

WD Red NAS drives 6 x 3TB 

I have 2 M1015's, only using 1. I bought a brand new one on ebay because I thought maybe my card was old and malfunctioning but it is experiencing the same thing. Exact same thing. I have flashed them to be in IT mode for direct passthrough mode. Sometimes I can get the machine to boot up and Use unraid till I tell it to build the array, then it say shortly after that the SAS became unoperational.:

ov 17 20:55:29 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: SAS host is non-operational !!!!
Nov 17 20:55:30 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: SAS host is non-operational !!!!
Nov 17 20:55:31 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: SAS host is non-operational !!!!
Nov 17 20:55:32 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: SAS host is non-operational !!!!

8min into an array read check. This causes the system to freeze so I cant get any more information that I am aware of. I think maybe its a conflict in the BIOS that needs changed but I cannot figure out what to change. Any Ideas? Would really like to get this beast up and running using unraid.... Perhaps M1015's are too old and should be upgraded to something else? I just dont feel that its the cards, like i mentioned before I have 2 of these, one is new, and I have tried different IT firmware versions. I tried the version that comes in this package https://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/ and I went to broadcoms website and downloaded the latest version and tried that, same results....

25 minutes ago, sevendollarbill said:

Hello all. Been fighting with this for a week now trying to find a solution. Here are my specs:

AMD 2970wx

ASRock Fatallity Professional Gaming x399 motherboard

gtx 1080 x2 Gigabyte (currently 1 installed)

IBM M1015 (IT firmware)

Intell SAS expander RES2SV240 E91267-203

Kingston Technology HyperX Fury Black 16GB 2933MHz DDR4 (96GB)

WD Red NAS drives 6 x 3TB 

I have 2 M1015's, only using 1. I bought a brand new one on ebay because I thought maybe my card was old and malfunctioning but it is experiencing the same thing. Exact same thing. I have flashed them to be in IT mode for direct passthrough mode. Sometimes I can get the machine to boot up and Use unraid till I tell it to build the array, then it say shortly after that the SAS became unoperational.:

ov 17 20:55:29 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: SAS host is non-operational !!!!
Nov 17 20:55:30 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: SAS host is non-operational !!!!
Nov 17 20:55:31 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: SAS host is non-operational !!!!
Nov 17 20:55:32 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: SAS host is non-operational !!!!

8min into an array read check. This causes the system to freeze so I cant get any more information that I am aware of. I think maybe its a conflict in the BIOS that needs changed but I cannot figure out what to change. Any Ideas? Would really like to get this beast up and running using unraid.... Perhaps M1015's are too old and should be upgraded to something else? I just dont feel that its the cards, like i mentioned before I have 2 of these, one is new, and I have tried different IT firmware versions. I tried the version that comes in this package https://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/ and I went to broadcoms website and downloaded the latest version and tried that, same results....

You really should post full diagnostics (Tools --> Diagnostics in GUI) as log snippets are usually not helpful as they lack important info.

M1015s in IT mode are in use successfully by many unRAID users.

I also recommend you change the title of your post to something more descriptive of the issues so the experts don't skip over it in skimming the forums.

Edited by Hoopster
  • sevendollarbill changed the title to M1015 freezing and or BIOS conflict

I do. I have the Deep Silence 6 case. It has 2 140mm fans over the pcie slots as well as I bought a Noctua 3k rpm high static fan to specifically blow across the card. It also has 2 140mm front fans sucking in, enermax water cooler for the CPU 500w tdp dual 120mm fans sucking out, and another 140mm rear fan I believe is sucking out as well. So I don't think it's a temp issue though I have no real way of knowing for sure. Is there a better sas card I should be using that doesn't get nearly as hot?