Installing 3 workplaces at one PC

Hello everyone) After watchign Linus videos about installing several work places at one PC I want to do by myself)

I actually need for 2 Autocad (+3d Autocad workers) and for me for video edditig videos from the trips and from the Chromakey in Davinci Resolve (free version).

image.thumb.png.426390f74991af0789d583d27f2ec481.png

I tried to visualize it. If somebody uderstand what I want to archive I'll be happy to receive any recommendations)

The software may be UnRaid, Microsoft Multipoint Server 2016.

left - the server specs

right - 3 rooms of each worker

ps: I really want and hope on the BlackFriday it'll be discounts)

The plan is: install the unRaid software and after that install Windows 10 PRO on each of the machines and use them just by turning on the monitors at work places)

5 minutes ago, hitman2158 said:

If you want to install 3 independent VM´s, you´ll need 3 independent GPU´s. That´s for your purpose.

Be sure to choose the right ones which support your programs.

And don´t forget to think about also 3 independent NIC´s.

I'll buy the cheapest GPU, but I need ability to use the MAIN power of Nvidia Quadro GPU.

And what is the NIC's mean... don't understand this terminalogy)

That's not how it works in Unraid at least not now with consumer and workstation GPUs. There are Server GPUs that supports SRIOV but i don't think Unraid is ready for this yet. Nvidia and Amd not selling such GPUs to the mainstream user atm. Might be changing in the future but don't expect it to be happen. As soon as it happens, expensive server parts will become obsolete if cheap mainstream gear can do the same thing. You might can use a Windows Terminal Server with the one specific Quadro card passed through and have multiple users connected via RDP to it and make use of it. Depends on the software. For some applications you need special licenses to work under TS. If you watch Linus video again you can clearly see, he passes through ONE card each per VM. Also noted in my experience Autocad benefits from lots of RAM especially in 3D mode. 32GB might be ok for 1 VM and same with the CPU. 6 cores 12 threads thats 2 cores 4 threads for each VM. Did you ever used Autocad or a video editing software on a dual core system? With your specs you can play around with it but forget about a perfect experience on these ressource heavy tasks. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, bastl said:

That's not how it works in Unraid at least not now with consumer and workstation GPUs. There are Server GPUs that supports SRIOV but i don't think Unraid is ready for this yet. Nvidia and Amd not selling such GPUs to the mainstream user atm. Might be changing in the future but don't expect it to be happen. As soon as it happens, expensive server parts will become obsolete if cheap mainstream gear can do the same thing. You might can use a Windows Terminal Server with the one specific Quadro card passed through and have multiple users connected via RDP to it and make use of it. Depends on the software. For some applications you need special licenses to work under TS. If you watch Linus video again you can clearly see, he passes through ONE card each per VM. Also noted in my experience Autocad benefits from lots of RAM especially in 3D mode. 32GB might be ok for 1 VM and same with the CPU. 6 cores 12 threads thats 2 cores 4 threads for each VM. Did you ever used Autocad or a video editing software on a dual core system? With your specs you can play around with it but forget about a perfect experience on these ressource heavy tasks. 

I actually thought the Resources will be not fixed for a particular VM. And it'll be flexible, like if AutoCad requesting more power it'll get more and if Davinci resolve will request more power it'll use for CPU cores and more GPU power. Am I correct with this or not?

You have to specify which core is accessible by which VM. Sure, you can give 2 VMs the same cores but as soon as 1 VM will use lots of ressources the other will throttle or completly pause for a second. Forget about the idea of 3 VMs using 1 single GPU and all the same cores with enjoyable experience. There is a reason why people buying expensive workstations for 3D rendering tasks or video editing. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, bastl said:

You have to specify which core is accessible by which VM. Sure, you can give 2 VMs the same cores but as soon as 1 VM will use lots of ressources the other will throttle or completly pause for a second. Forget about the idea of 3 VMs using 1 single GPU and all the same cores with enjoyable experience. There is a reason why people buying expensive workstations for 3D rendering tasks or video editing. 

I just thought about it like running 2 Autocads and 1 Davici Resolve programms at the same time. But just need to separate in to 3 USERS. Will be it a wise idea to setup a UnRaid + 1VM settig up everyting think correctly to mai users. 

And after that trying to connect another ones?

5 minutes ago, MakarkinPRO said:

I actually thought the Resources will be not fixed for a particular VM. And it'll be flexible, like if AutoCad requesting more power it'll get more and if Davinci resolve will request more power it'll use for CPU cores and more GPU power. Am I correct with this or not?

Hardware that is passed through (i.e. cards) cannot be used by more than one running VM at the same time.    The same applies to RAM so you need enough RAM for all the VMs plus some overhead for Unraid.  USB devices such as mice/keyboards can be allocated to specific VMs without needing to do hardware passthrough (buy no device can be used by more than one running VM at a time).  

CPU cores can be shared across VM's (although a particular VMs definition will specify which cores can be used). and the system will allow it to be shared with other VMs that have the same cores allocated.   However this can lead to unpredictable performance in a VM if two different VMs make demands on the same cores at the same time.  As a result many people prefer to dedicate particular cores to specific VMs to reduce contention.

• Like 1

OK thx guys for the advices. 

I actually decide this:

Use main PC on Win 10, where Unraid will be installed as a main PC for AutoCad worker.

Create a VM just to frontdesk - which one mostly doing an internet surfing.

But have a questions:

1) If I'll be using my local PC with a GTX 1070 ti (I decide in at first), am I have possibility to PassThrough with UnRaid and run VM on the Intel 630 HD integrated graphics?

1.1) I have thought to run another VM, but connect to it via RPD from WiFi network. Will it be using same local GTX 1070 ti graphic card as a main GPU? (it's just for testing)

2) If in the future I decide to buy another GTX 1070 ti and connect it to SLI-mode, and relocate this to VM machine via unRaid, will it be possible?

3) What SSD is better? I decide to get SSDSC2BB800G701 (intel 800GB sata MLC) or may be M2 SSD will be better. Ad does both will be working with unRaid?

4) I'll be using a i7 8700k with a DeepCool Gamer Storm MAELSTROM 240 DP-GS-H24RL-MS240. Will I have possibility to add more cores in the future to VM. And overlock with this type of watter cooler?

5) I'm plan connect to my system up to 4 HDD drivers, and I want to buy an Intel Optaine 32 GB of memeory. And does the UnRaid software working on VM's with Intel Optaine Memory?

5.1) Is it possible to connect to VM exact HDD and only exact not all?

6) Does the HOT Pluggining on USB will be working at VM's machine via UnRaid software?

7) What kind of USB hubs will be working with UnRaid software?

Anybody have any answers to my questions? ) The UnRaid software have posibbilty to use only like a VirtualMachine? Or like a Widows Mulatipoint Server as well?

But have a questions:

1) If I'll be using my local PC with a GTX 1070 ti (I decide in at first), am I have possibility to PassThrough with UnRaid and run VM on the Intel 630 HD integrated graphics?

1.1) I have thought to run another VM, but connect to it via RPD from WiFi network. Will it be using same local GTX 1070 ti graphic card as a main GPU? (it's just for testing)

2) If in the future I decide to buy another GTX 1070 ti and connect it to SLI-mode, and relocate this to VM machine via unRaid, will it be possible?

3) What SSD is better? I decide to get SSDSC2BB800G701 (intel 800GB sata MLC) or may be M2 SSD will be better. Ad does both will be working with unRaid?

4) I'll be using a i7 8700k with a DeepCool Gamer Storm MAELSTROM 240 DP-GS-H24RL-MS240. Will I have possibility to add more cores in the future to VM. And overlock with this type of watter cooler?

5) I'm plan connect to my system up to 4 HDD drivers, and I want to buy an Intel Optaine 32 GB of memeory. And does the UnRaid software working on VM's with Intel Optaine Memory?

6) Does the HOT Pluggining on USB will be working at VM's machine via UnRaid software?

On 11/29/2018 at 6:47 PM, MakarkinPRO said:

Anybody have any answers to my questions? ) The UnRaid software have posibbilty to use only like a VirtualMachine? Or like a Widows Mulatipoint Server as well?

Primary task of unRAID is to work as a server, giving you the possibility to store and secure (with parity, but you don´t have to use it/I would highly recommend it). Create different shares for your data like movie, music, photo etc. Create different users for their data. Like this:

\share\documents_mom_dad give access rights to mom and dad

\share\documents_son_daughter give access rights to mom and dad and son and daughter

Please have a look on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZDfnUn74N0WeAPvMqTOrtA

That´s the youtube channel from spaceinvader one aka gridrunner in this forum. His videos are really awsome and very good explained. I think this will also give you an anser to question #2

What will be be the purpose of the SSD? 

Maximum is the amount of real/virtual cores. But keep in mind that OS need some CPU and RAM as well as VM´s or Dockers. OC of the system should be possible via BIOS, but be careful. This is not as easy as it looks like.

I don´t know, sorry.

Not really sure, but should be possible via plugin unassigned disk devices

I don´t know, sorry.

I don´t know, sorry.

Edited by hitman2158