Installing 3 workplaces at one PC

Thank you for the answers!!!! Very helped. I finish the configuration of PC. But I installed the Primary the Windows 10 PRO system.

image.thumb.png.e4320eabc8859ccdad40bc146a746cd1.png

To work the system like I need am I'm right with that steps:

1) Create a DiskImage of the current Win10 PRO.

2) Install the UnRaid (with erasing all data from the SSD) I have just a 1 disc C:\ on the SSD drive.

3) Choose the DiskImage from the 1 step and run the PC as a 1-st but main VM.

... and check all things

4) After that setup a 2nd VM and passthough the Intel 630 HD, USB 3.0 to that VM.

5) Profit.

Am I right with the step 1 and 2, and all another?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What you are trying to accomplish is pushing the borders of the normal expertise you will find here. Because of that you will find that not all of your questions will be answered.

I have a one server that has dual Intel Xeon 2670 and 96gb RAM. This server works best for flexible VM work as you are proposing. I have 5 Win 10 VM on this server and create and destroy many more on an ad hoc basis. But I don't pass through any video. I find pass through really isn't flexible for my needs. Requiring 1 video card for each VM just kills it for me. I find Microsoft RDP best for connecting to these VM in spite of what grid runner suggests. This is ok for normal browsing and office work. Try it and see if it works for you. The beauty is that dedicated video cablng is not required, and dedicated GPU are not required. The downside is that video is limited for gaming, streaming and other GPU intensive stuff.

Basically just follow grid runners first video about windows 10 VM and ignore video 2. Then connect to the VM with windows RDP from a laptop and test it out. This is flexible VM at it's best.

Sent from my chisel, carved into granite

• Like 1

Hmmm... seems like you are not getting the limitations of unraid.  Each VM that you want to connect a monitor directly to will need a graphics card dedicated to it.  You can use embedded graphics for unraid but you won't want to use it on a VM.  Also, unraid boots from a usb drive and hosts images on top of that using KVM. Drives can be pooled or passed through to machines directly- which is your best bet for speed.  If we are talking about CAD here- you would be best buying a new graphics card that supports SRVIO and setting up a proper esxi server and passing a number of GPU cores to it.  Using unraid means that all disk and machine activities are hosted on top of a custom slackware linux kernel with some nice features added.  Using unraid here is not going to get you where you want to go without planning- then buying components that are exactly right for this project.  

• Like 1
On 2/7/2019 at 1:49 AM, jordanmw said:

You can use embedded graphics for unraid but you won't want to use it on a VM

heh, really. So yes if it's, looks like I need to buy a dedicated graphic card.

Also, unraid boots from a usb drive and hosts images on top of that using KVM. Drives can be pooled or passed through to machines directly- which is your best bet for speed. 

Did get this, sorry. I have a UnRaid USB and boot from it. And have 1 NVMe PCI and 1 SSD and 3 HDD into my Tower. So it's not possible to pass-through NVMe PCI directly to VM which I'll be using on the machine where USB with UnRaid inserted?

If we are talking about CAD here- you would be best buying a new graphics card that supports SRVIO and setting up a proper esxi server and passing a number of GPU cores to it. 

So it's not possible to use CAD on the VM (on local PC) with GTX 1070 ti on it? I think it's possible, but right now I just gathering information before try)

What is my pain right now:

- is it possible to boot from USB UnRaid connect, connect my NVMe PCI drive (with already installed Win 10) and use it in that way.

and if something going wrong, I just delete the USB and boot with my NVMe PCI again whithout any de-installation of Win 10.

On 2/4/2019 at 3:51 PM, tr0910 said:

What you are trying to accomplish is pushing the borders of the normal expertise you will find here. Because of that you will find that not all of your questions will be answered.

I have a one server that has dual Intel Xeon 2670 and 96gb RAM. This server works best for flexible VM work as you are proposing. I have 5 Win 10 VM on this server and create and destroy many more on an ad hoc basis. But I don't pass through any video. I find pass through really isn't flexible for my needs. Requiring 1 video card for each VM just kills it for me. I find Microsoft RDP best for connecting to these VM in spite of what grid runner suggests. This is ok for normal browsing and office work. Try it and see if it works for you. The beauty is that dedicated video cablng is not required, and dedicated GPU are not required. The downside is that video is limited for gaming, streaming and other GPU intensive stuff.

Basically just follow grid runners first video about windows 10 VM and ignore video 2. Then connect to the VM with windows RDP from a laptop and test it out. This is flexible VM at it's best.

Sent from my chisel, carved into granite

Hmmm for me using RPD is still create a pain while I'm using it on local PC)

Afternoon,

Finally followed this video to make a MacOS VM. For whatever reason Mojave wasn’t able to be downloaded; kept failing at ~4.5gb. 

At any rate, what is involved in the process of upgrading High Sierra to Mojave? Is it as simple as upgrading through High Sierra or will that brick something?

Anything you guys can tell me about updating a HighSierra VM to Mojave would be awesome!

Thanks a ton, your favorite Newbz... 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2019 at 10:22 PM, blaine07 said:

Afternoon,

Finally followed this video to make a MacOS VM. For whatever reason Mojave wasn’t able to be downloaded; kept failing at ~4.5gb. 

At any rate, what is involved in the process of upgrading High Sierra to Mojave? Is it as simple as upgrading through High Sierra or will that brick something?

Anything you guys can tell me about updating a HighSierra VM to Mojave would be awesome!

Thanks a ton, your favorite Newbz... 🙂

I think you posted into the incorrect topic)

• 1 month later...

I think the biggest issue that you will have is doing the initial setup and config.  Once that is done, things smooth out considerably but almost need physical access for the initial install and troubleshooting.  I guess it would depend on where you are in the world and what consultation you are looking for.  What did you have in mind?

I have 3 unraid builds that I am supporting as multi-headed gaming machines, usually it's not difficult, but when things go wrong, I usually restore from backup instead of troubleshooting the issue.  A lot of issues can be prevented with the right setup- so it's important to get it right the first time and heavily stress all the VMs/dockers before determining stability.  The primary functions of the system also need to be run for testing and using those can be tricky to max without real world resource usage.   

3 hours ago, jordanmw said:

I think the biggest issue that you will have is doing the initial setup and config.  Once that is done, things smooth out considerably but almost need physical access for the initial install and troubleshooting.  I guess it would depend on where you are in the world and what consultation you are looking for.  What did you have in mind?

I have 3 unraid builds that I am supporting as multi-headed gaming machines, usually it's not difficult, but when things go wrong, I usually restore from backup instead of troubleshooting the issue.  A lot of issues can be prevented with the right setup- so it's important to get it right the first time and heavily stress all the VMs/dockers before determining stability.  The primary functions of the system also need to be run for testing and using those can be tricky to max without real world resource usage.   

does any other solution on the market which one working smoothly ? And my plan will not work with UnRaid?

What is my pain right now:

- is it possible to boot from USB UnRaid connect, connect my NVMe PCI drive (with already installed Win 10) and use it in that way.

and if something going wrong, I just delete the USB and boot with my NVMe PCI again whithout any de-installation of Win 10.

I think the issues with that process are related to windows activation and hardware changes that would happen between the VM and the physical machine.  I think other people have posted some workarounds, but this will definitely be a bigger pain in the rear then just excluding a drive from unraid all together and booting to windows on that drive.  It would depend on the setup once you boot a physical windows copy- to access any other drives that unraid has access to.  Technically, you are not really allowing unraid to do anything but be a lightweight hypervisor with some unassigned devices that are consumed by VMs when they boot.