Need to recreate docker image? How?

I turned off my docker do move all the files to the cache with the mover but now it's telling me I need to recreate the whole image. How do I do this, just select to delete the image?

Your existing Docker image file needs to be recreated due to an issue from an earlier beta of Unraid 6. Failure to do so may result in your docker image suffering corruption at a later time. Please do this NOW!

What consequences will this have, will it remove all of my docker settings, will it remove all of my installed docker apps?

Edited by plantsandbinary

If you delete the image and then restart docker it will create a new empty image.     You can then go into the Previous Applications section of Community Applications and from there templates that Community Applications will have earlier saved on the USB drive to reinstall the containers with the previous settings.  As long as the containers were properly configured to have their configuration information installed externally to the container you are back up and running exactly as you were before.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, plantsandbinary said:

I turned off my docker do move all the files to the cache with the mover but now it's telling me I need to recreate the whole image. How do I do this, just select to delete the image?

Your existing Docker image file needs to be recreated due to an issue from an earlier beta of Unraid 6. Failure to do so may result in your docker image suffering corruption at a later time. Please do this NOW!

What consequences will this have, will it remove all of my docker settings, will it remove all of my installed docker apps?

Curious how you would have gotten this though. Did you just upgrade from an early beta of V6? This message should have been obsolete long ago.

37 minutes ago, plantsandbinary said:

I just stopped the docker service. Moved all the container information and app data over to the cache with the mover. Then I suddenly got this.

Is it a bug then? I'd like to know if my docker service container image is okay.

I've never used a beta version.

I am guessing it is a false message but perhaps given for an actual problem, such as a corrupt docker image. Post your diagnostics.

• 3 months later...
14 minutes ago, JHopple said:

Should I just rebuild my docker image?

You should also take care of some other things. Docker service is already disabled. Disable VM service so we can get your shares moved where they belong.

Your system and domains shares are cache-prefer, which is good, but they both still have files on disk2. 

You also have another cache-prefer share with files on the array and none on cache, but are you sure you want that share cache-prefer? That setting means move the files TO cache. The share name is probably something like Downloads, but it is anonymized.

I download to the cache and then move the files to other shares, so I do want downloads on the cache. 

I have shutdown the VM service and re-run the Mover.

Docker image rebuild is complete. I was afraid it might be harder that it was. This is a nice system.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I to am looking to create a new docker image and import my containers. 
my current docker.img is located at -> /mnt/cache/
I have used an application within Settings called 'backup/restore appdata'
This created a CA_backup.tar on my array disk.

To delete the docker.img am I to:
Stop docker within the unraid GUI
SSH into unraid and delete docker.img
Start docker within the unraid GUI
Go to setting 'backup/restore appdata'
Restore from .tar
All my containers will be restored as they were?

Thanks, 

image.png

Not sure what you mean by this:

47 minutes ago, bombz said:

import my containers

Why do you want to restore your appdata? Did something happen to it?

To recreate docker image:

Setting - Docker, disable. From that same page, delete docker image. Enabling will recreate docker image.

Then go to Apps and use the Previous Apps feature. It will reinstall any/all of your dockers exactly as they were.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, trurl said:

Not sure what you mean by this:

Why do you want to restore your appdata? Did something happen to it?

To recreate docker image:

Setting - Docker, disable. From that same page, delete docker image. Enabling will recreate docker image.

Then go to Apps and use the Previous Apps feature. It will reinstall any/all of your dockers exactly as they were.

import/restore my containers I meant.
I thought appdata was my container info. 

I didn't have luck searching 'previous apps' within the apps section to install it. 
I have CA Appdata Backup/Restore but it looks like it is no longer updated

I am getting some strange  docker logs and thought it may be good to make a new image and restore my current containers and settings. Wanted to know the proper process and correct app to get being I cannot find previous apps 

Edited by bombz
16 minutes ago, Squid said:

If you're just redoing the docker.img, you do not need to worry about a backup of the appdata.   

Oh ok. I suppose I need to investigate some more. As far as how I was looking at it, when you deploy a container it deploys to /appdata/*****/
So if I lost my cache, or flash, or deployed a new unraid server etc. and needed to revert/restore somehow. This is why I was focused on the appdata folder as I assumed I would need to have a backup of my app data

13 hours ago, bombz said:

I have CA Appdata Backup/Restore but it looks like it is no longer updated

You probably have the deprecated version. You should remove it and install the V2 version which should be available on the Apps page.

57 minutes ago, bombz said:

Oh ok. I suppose I need to investigate some more. As far as how I was looking at it, when you deploy a container it deploys to /appdata/*****/
So if I lost my cache, or flash, or deployed a new unraid server etc. and needed to revert/restore somehow. This is why I was focused on the appdata folder as I assumed I would need to have a backup of my app data

There are a few different parts to this puzzle.

appdata

The folder the container puts in appdata contains the "working storage" for the application. This will be the data that the application itself uses to keep track of what it is doing. For example, plex keeps its library there, which is a database it uses to keep track of all your media.

templates

Typically, you will install a new docker by going to the Apps page and clicking the download icon on the listing for the docker. This takes you to the Add/Edit Container page, a form with many things already filled in. The Apps page (Community Applications) fills those in for you based on a template the docker author has provided. After you make any needed changes or additions and submit the form by clicking the Apply button, the contents of the form, including your changes and additions, is stored on the flash drive as a template, which can be used again to edit the docker or even reinstall it exactly as it was, using the aforementioned Previous Apps feature on the Apps page.

docker.img

Then, the contents of that form (Add Container) are used to put together the docker run command with its parameters taken from that form. The docker run command downloads the executable code of the docker and stores that code in the docker.img, then runs the container.

Finally, note that the contents of docker.img can always be redownloaded, so it is easily recreated and not at all important for getting your dockers working again. In fact, we often tell people to delete their docker.img and recreate it when they have corrupted it.

What you need is the templates on flash, which contain the mappings, etc for the Add/Edit Container page, so the container can be installed again exactly as it was, and the appdata for the container so the application will remember everything it was keeping up with.

4 hours ago, trurl said:

You probably have the deprecated version. You should remove it and install the V2 version which should be available on the Apps page.

There are a few different parts to this puzzle.

appdata

The folder the container puts in appdata contains the "working storage" for the application. This will be the data that the application itself uses to keep track of what it is doing. For example, plex keeps its library there, which is a database it uses to keep track of all your media.

templates

Typically, you will install a new docker by going to the Apps page and clicking the download icon on the listing for the docker. This takes you to the Add/Edit Container page, a form with many things already filled in. The Apps page (Community Applications) fills those in for you based on a template the docker author has provided. After you make any needed changes or additions and submit the form by clicking the Apply button, the contents of the form, including your changes and additions, is stored on the flash drive as a template, which can be used again to edit the docker or even reinstall it exactly as it was, using the aforementioned Previous Apps feature on the Apps page.

docker.img

Then, the contents of that form (Add Container) are used to put together the docker run command with its parameters taken from that form. The docker run command downloads the executable code of the docker and stores that code in the docker.img, then runs the container.

Finally, note that the contents of docker.img can always be redownloaded, so it is easily recreated and not at all important for getting your dockers working again. In fact, we often tell people to delete their docker.img and recreate it when they have corrupted it.

What you need is the templates on flash, which contain the mappings, etc for the Add/Edit Container page, so the container can be installed again exactly as it was, and the appdata for the container so the application will remember everything it was keeping up with.

This is wonderful. I appreciate everything and everyone contributions. I am looking to 1. recreate the docker.img and 2. backup all docker related data. I generally do regular backups of data and would like to keep myself in a recoverable state.

I do not have many dockers at this time very few actually but I know it is going to grow! I will take my time and run through each point stated here and be sure I have covered my bases to have a full recoverable docker instance if it ever comes to that.

Thank you again!