first build based on ryzen 2600, parts okay?

Henning

Hi there!

I want to build my first unraid computer soon and would love it if someone with more experience could have a quick look over the parts so I am not making a mistake.

What do I want the computer for?

* File storage for me and my girlfriend, our PCs only have small SSDs

* Plex Server for audio and video (private use so only seldom external connections / transcoding)

* Torrenting, Sonarr, Radarr etc.

* Server for differnt self hosted services like Paperless, Calibre Server, Ubooquity etc.

Parts...

... I already own:

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 with 3 fans

CPU Fan: EKL Alpenföhn Brocken 2

SSD: PNY CS900 480 GB

HDD: 4 x WD Elements 8 TB

HDD: 3 x WD My Book Desktop 8 TB

... I am eyeballing:

CPU: Ryzen 2600

MB:   Gigabyte X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming

RAM: 2 x G.Skill Aegis 8GB DDR4-3000MHz

PSU: Enermax Platimax D.F. 600W

Sata/SAS Card: ???

And in the future?

* When the system is configured and running I would like to explore the world of virtualization for learning purposes

I want to start with 5 data and 2 parity disks, each 8 TB big. I have a 500GB SSD which I wanted to use as a cache drive. This would give me 40TB which should be enough for one or two years. The case can be expanded to hold 4 more drives so it should be big enough for my future needs.

First I wanted to go with an i3-8100 but it is pretty expensive right now, I can get the Ryzen for the same price which has 8 threads more. I am aware that the idle power consumption isn't that good but I hope it won't be too bad either.

Since I am already over budget I thought I could get away without a GPU, for installation and BIOS settings I can put in the graphics card from my gaming PC, after that I will run it headless. I think I can't start tinkering with virtualization without a GPU but I can buy one when I have the system configured and the time to play with it. Or will I get in trouble by trying to so?

Yeah that's it so far if anybody sees a problem with this build I would be happy to hear from you. Also if somebody has a recommendation for a good value sata card, let me know!

Cheers!

I was planning to get something similar to upgrade my build, but I decided to wait for Zen2, but I dont think you are doing something wrong with a Ryzen 2 Build right now.

Its pretty hard to find out which board works headless but it seems to work with most Asrock boards (also seems to work the best with ECC) and with pretty much no MSI board.

One problem with Ryzen for me are the PCIe Slots on the boards, you can get 3x 3.0 (x16 mechanical) on a pretty cheap Intel Board but for AM4 you have to get an expensive board just to get 2x 3.0 1x 2.0.