New member with first question

cracksilver

Hi all

I'm from Switzerland and turned over from Synology to unRaid on HP gen8.

Everything works fine. Just asking me about the order of my plates. I got 2 x 3TB as parity and 2 x 1TB for array. One SSD cache plate with 128 GB is also in use. This arragement gives me 3 TB. Are there other orders for better performance or space known.

Thx.

Cracksilver

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A5000 mit Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, cracksilver said:

hi Construcor

Hi "Newbie"😉 (I know "Newbie" isn't your username but mine isn't "Constructor" either)

Before continuing, I have to wonder why you are using such small disks? Are these old disks? Are you sure they are in good health?

52 minutes ago, cracksilver said:

One of the 3TB parity disk change to data disk, how to do?

I haven't needed to do your exact scenario, but I think it should work something like this. Maybe someone else will respond with more details, or you can just ask more questions as you go.

Tools - New Config, Retain All. Reassign parity2 as data. Check the box saying parity is valid then start the array to clear and then format the new data disk.

Just now, johnnie.black said:

This is smaller than disk1

Ok thats the way...

Then there are two orders with this 4 disks:

parity 1 = 3TB

parity 2 = 3TB

disk 1 = 1TB

disk 2 = 1TB

Total for use = 2TB

or this:

parity 1 = 3TB

parity 2 = no

disk 1 = 3TB

disk 2 = 1TB

disk 3 = 1TB

Total for use = 3TB

is it right?

Parity isn't a backup of any of your data. It simply allows the data for a missing disk to be calculated from parity PLUS ALL the other disks. This is why I asked about the health of your small disks. ALL disks must be healthy for parity to work as designed.

Here is a wiki about how parity works:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Overview#Parity-Protected_Array

In addition to parity you need to have a backup plan for any important and irreplaceable data.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, trurl said:

Parity isn't a backup of any of your data. It simply allows the data for a missing disk to be calculated from parity PLUS ALL the other disks. This is why I asked about the health of your small disks. ALL disks must be healthy for parity to work as designed.

Here is a wiki about how parity works:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Overview#Parity-Protected_Array

In addition to parity you need to have a backup plan for any important and irreplaceable data.

Thanks for that. I read it allready yesterday. I just wasn't shure about the order of the disk. But now I think it works for me a while. I just have data about 1 TB at the moment.

And yes I know, parity is NOT A BACKUP. For backup I have other solutions. Unraid is just the datapool and virtualization server for some things. And dockers works realy like a charm in unRaid ;-)

thx, bye