650w or 750w power supply?

Endy

Server specs in my signature. There is also another Crucial ssd and it has an added usb card and a Perc H310. I could very well be adding more hard drives in the future as well.

I haven't noticed any problems with my current 550w power supply, but I did just add another 2 hard drives (and accidentally killed another one at the same time) and with more possible in the future I am thinking it might just not be enough. I think looking at the calculators it came out to be that I was currently using right around 550w.

I think I've read that it's good to have a little bit more overhead, but I'm not sure. So 650w or 750w? Currently I've been looking at Seasonic and Evga. Is it the CX line to stay away from for Corsair? 

Only time I've had issues with PSUs is when they've been provisioned to close to actual usage, mostly oem units or cheaper brands in the past.

Sometimes issues will manifest as system instability, or PSUs will just die.

Efficiency bands are quite good on modern PSUs, so don't be afraid to go bigger (within reason).

Seasonic and EVGA are good choices, all my rigs run the higher end effiency EVGA PSUs (which are actual Seasonic OEM anyway) and have been great performers for a number of years.

When deciding on specific PSU units, I always see what jonnyguru.com has to say, they do quite detailed testing.

• Like 1
On 11/22/2018 at 8:40 PM, tjb_altf4 said:

I've got an EVGA G3 in that spec in a similar system to yours and I've found it to be a great unit.

If noise is a concern, look at the models that allow the fan to spin down.

Yep my Corsair AX760 fan has never been on. I had to literally turn on the switch to make sure it really works. I'm guessing with my Case fans blowing air across my PSU its never gotten warm enough to warrant auto turning on. Been running solid for a couple of years with no noticeable issues.