need help selecting file systems

ozzyc

Hey,

I am on my unraid trial and trying to get things set up for the first time, looking for some suggestions.

This server will be performing mass storage for general use and time machine backups, as well as running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, and Radarr.

I have a range of spinners from 1-4tb I plan on using for the main pool in XFS (seems like it doesnt have the corruption issues of BTRFS, not sure what to think of EXT4)

For cache, I plan on using an 860 evo 500gb drive. My reading suggests that BTRFS is the way to go for supporting trim, though I have heard some drives dont need to be given the trim command and will do this on their own anyways.

Additonally, i have a old 120gb SSD that I have no use for, but SMART shows the drive to be healthy other than a few reallocations that it has done. My thought was to use it as a docker drive so my main cache isnt pulling double duty and lets face it, its a use for a small drive. Would this drive also benefit from being BTRFS? or would XFS or EXT4 be fine for that use?

If i include this drive in the main pool, and tell all other shares not to use this drive, it would get the benefit from being backed up, but I dont think it would perform well due to parity being on a 4tb spinner, so should I mount this drive outside of the main pool?

Thanks for your thoughts!