10Gbe NIC compatability

r4ptor

My current bottleneck is my connection to the server, one which im planing to eliminate soon.

Is there any good Dual port 10Gbe SFP+ NIC card that will work out of the box and isnt that expensive?

I looked through the forum and found several suggestions, so far I found these:
Chelsio CC2-N320E-SR

Chelsio T320
Mellanox Connectx 2
Intel X520

Are there any more 10Gbe card which works with unraid that you recommend?

5 minutes ago, r4ptor said:

My current bottleneck is my connection to the server, one which im planing to eliminate soon.

Is there any good Dual port 10Gbe SFP+ NIC card that will work out of the box and isnt that expensive?

I looked through the forum and found several suggestions, so far I found these:

Mellanox Connectx 2

Are there any more 10Gbe card which works with unraid that you recommend?

Mellanox Connectx 2: I have 3 of these cards and they worked right out of the box 1 dual port and 2 single port for peer to peer setup of 2 rigs to my unRAID box remember your limited by distance as these SFP+ cables are relatively short

Edited by mrbilky
1 hour ago, mrbilky said:

Mellanox Connectx 2: I have 3 of these cards and they worked right out of the box 1 dual port and 2 single port for peer to peer setup of 2 rigs to my unRAID box remember your limited by distance as these SFP+ cables are relatively short 

What short distance? are you refering to DAC cables?

• 2 weeks later...

OK my post is not for SFP+.

This tip is for copper 10 Gb.

I think any card with the Aquantia 10 Gb chip works with linux.

I have that chip on my ASRock motherboard and it is recognized as a 10 Gb port by unraid as it is with all linux since a while back.

So I guess this card: https://www.anandtech.com/show/11598/asus-launches-xgc100c-10-gbe-adapter-aquantia-aqc107-99

and other ones with that chip will work. These are for "normal" copper ethernet cables.

Cat 6 cables OK to 55 m length.

Cat 6a and 7 OK to 100m length, witch is the length the twisted copper cable standards are made for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair#Building_infrastructure

I do not have anything connected to my "future proof" 10 Gbps port that is > 1 Gbps so I have not tested that it really works but I think it will.

Edited by Alexander