CPU Pinning - have I got it right?

al_uk

I have a mix of docker and VMs. The VMs are windows 10 except for the Mikrotik one which is switched off anyway. The vdesk VMs are desktops just used for browsing or other non-intensive apps. The HA VMs run Homeseer and other automation services.

The problem I have is that the VMs are slow, so I'm wondering if there is a better way of splitting up/isolating the CPU cores. The CPU is a E5-2620 v3.

My thinking here was that the VMs would perform better isolated to a couple of cores, and that some services (crashplan, nextcloud and splunk) can be limited to one core leaving the rest for Plex. Emby, etc.

image.thumb.png.7654bcb4d1837f0ab9afa1258dc189f3.png

Cheers,

General rule of thumb is to leave CPU 0 and its corresponding hyperthread open to Unraid. All other CPU & HT are free game.

Try moving your VM's to CPU 1&2. Dockers can go later.

There is a thread somewhere in the forums that go into further details on how to discover which CPU's are on which particular die.

Also, subscribe to @spaceinvaderone's YouTube channel, as he has a video on CPU pinning and VM's.

Good luck and share with us your discoveries!

P.S. - If you don't like the forum's search engine, use the syntax:

site:forums.unraid.net search terms

Into a search engine such as DuckDuckGo, StartPage, or Google, replacing search terms with your intended query.

I'm sure that you'll find what you are looking for in the forums as many have asked similar questions in the past.

Edited by Zer0Nin3r
post-script