Pfsense onboard nic

khile

Hi all just getting to grips with unraid and wanting to install Pfsense is it possible to use the onboard nic as unraid seems to trying to use them all

the server is a dell r710 with 4 built in ports all 4 are connected to a managed switch and unraid has assigned ips to them all im struggling how to stop unraid using at least 2-3 of them

Thank You

(ps: sorry if a noob question) 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also looking for a solution to this same problem. When following spaceinvaderone's youtube guide and passing the 4port nic to pfsense vm, rebooting leaves unraid without internet access and therefore unable to start the array or any vms, so I'm dead out of the gate. What misstep am I making?

1 minute ago, Eastwest said:

I'm also looking for a solution to this same problem. When following spaceinvaderone's youtube guide and passing the 4port nic to pfsense vm, rebooting leaves unraid without internet access and therefore unable to start the array or any vms, so I'm dead out of the gate. What misstep am I making?

A trial license requires internet access to start the array whereas a paid license does not. 

11 hours ago, eschultz said:

A trial license requires internet access to start the array whereas a paid license does not. 

Gotcha! So after buying the license and setting up pfsense, will Unraid continue using the pfsense-designated WAN port (lets say eth0) for it's own non-pfsense related needs as well, such as system updates, app downloads,  etc... or will it now only obey pfsense's firewall/DNS rules for internet access?

Apologies in advance for extreme noob questions. Please don't attack.

19 hours ago, Eastwest said:

Gotcha! So after buying the license and setting up pfsense, will Unraid continue using the pfsense-designated WAN port (lets say eth0) for it's own non-pfsense related needs as well, such as system updates, app downloads,  etc... or will it now only obey pfsense's firewall/DNS rules for internet access?

Apologies in advance for extreme noob questions. Please don't attack.

you should be able to passthrough the nic (you might need to stub - see forum for more) to the VM which will stop unRAID using it.  My situation isn't quite the same, but the flow is the same - I have a PCIe dual nic that I passthrough to a VM.  Internet goes into one port and the other is connected to a switch which the onboard nic that unraid uses is connected to i.e. the pfsense VM controls all the firewall/DNS rules.

FYI this means my unRAID server has no net access until the VM starts but since around 6.5 this hasn't been a problem

34 minutes ago, DZMM said:

I have a PCIe dual nic that I passthrough to a VM.  Internet goes into one port and the other is connected to a switch which the onboard nic that unraid uses is connected to i.e. the pfsense VM controls all the firewall/DNS rules.

i run a similar setup but with a quad port nic. set a static ip on the server and no worries.

54 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Try disabling of bonding for both eth1 and eth2 and leave only bridging enabled. See if that makes a difference.

Same issue

Eth1 I am getting my public IP from ISP. Eth2 I have connected to same switch as eth0 (current network). Just so it has a ip address. Not sure if this should be disconnected for now?

1.PNG

2.PNG

When you switch to XML view. How does the interface section look like?

<interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:c0:5f:69'/>
      <source bridge='br0.4'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:89:67:08'/>
      <source bridge='br0.5'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>