Need HELP! Windows 10 can't access UNRAID webGUI and shares

Haven't been using my Windows 10 machine for a while. Found out earlier today I can no longer access my server from windows for both webGUI and SMB shares. Since I don't know when exactly this started I have no idea what caused this problem.

A few things:

1. Already enabled SMB 1 support from windows features.

2. Test from other machines. Everything works just fine on both of my Mac and my iphone. My friends windows 10 Laptop also can't access my server's webGUI and shares but can access his own unraid server with no issue. 

3. My server is on 6.6.5 and my friend never update anything so he is probability ruing some older version of unraid from earlier this year.

4. Last night I was messing around with disk share and Time Machine following this post.

5. I suspect it is an unraid issue since I can access all my other machine's webGUI and my friend's windows machine experience the same problem on my server.

Please help, I just bought another 2 10TB drive during black friday sale....

Can you access the GUI using the IP address  (//192.168.X.XXX)?

What version of Windows (1703,... 1809)  are you running on these computers?  What variety (Home, Pro, Enterprise, Educational)?   (They are all different.) 

Have checked to see that you are using the right workgroup name?  

The odds are you have a Windows 10 issue.  It is not a single animal with one solution that fits all situations!   Plus, MS stuffs upgrades at you and you may not even realize what has happened to you! 

Edited by Frank1940
13 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Can you access the GUI using the IP address  (//192.168.X.XXX)?

What version of Windows (1703,... 1809)  are you running on these computers?  What variety (Home, Pro, Enterprise, Educational)?   (They are all different.) 

Have checked to see that you are using the right workgroup name?  

The odds are you have a Windows 10 issue.  It is not a single animal with one solution that fits all situations!   Plus, MS stuffs upgrades at you and you may not even realize what has happened to you! 

1. No I can't. I only get username and password prompt and then browser stuck at white screen. I tried both Chrome and IE

2. Windows 10 Home Build 1803

3, Yep. Its the same and I did not mess around with it.

Yesterday after the post I realized my Windows machine was able to talk to my unraid before I updated to 6.6.5 (the night before).

Have you checked whether Windows thinks your network connection is a public (untrusted) connection rather than a home (trusted) connection?

windows usually asks what sort of connection it is the 1st time it connects to an ‘unknown’ network ... if you had answered this prompt wrong then windows will be blocking services on your local network because it considers them insecure.

36 minutes ago, remotevisitor said:

Have you checked whether Windows thinks your network connection is a public (untrusted) connection rather than a home (trusted) connection?

windows usually asks what sort of connection it is the 1st time it connects to an ‘unknown’ network ... if you had answered this prompt wrong then windows will be blocking services on your local network because it considers them insecure.

It is set to secure.

8 hours ago, remotevisitor said:

7 hours ago, invinciberry said:

It is set to secure.

@remotevisitor has an excellent point!!!!  In WIN7 (I don't run WIN10), one would go to Control Panel  >>>  Networking and Sharing Center.  Then look to see the 'Type' of Network--- Home, Work or Public.  If it is Public that is the most secure one (makes it virtually impossible to share your computer or connect to another network device or service) you can pick.  Work is the next secure and Home has the least security features enabled.  (With WIN7, in the left pane, there is a "Change advance sharing settings" link which will allow you to control to some extent what you can share and how you do it.  I don't know if WIN10 has this feature...    )

Now, WIN7 was changed a few months back to eliminate 'Network Discovery' for the Work type network.  You now have to use HOME network type to have network discovery. And I know that MS has been making WIN10 SMB access even more secure (which means more restrictions and things that stop working) through their "push' updating policy.  This is particularly true for WIN10 Home users.  You will never know when you got an update because MS does NOT tell you! 

EDIT:  The point that I was trying to make is that you are not trying to make your computer more secure!  You are really trying to make it less secure so that you can use it the way that you want-- not MS's.  

One more point, this post is about accessing the files on your server.  There is the second issue of GUI access.  It is a separate second issue/problem.  The two might be related in some way but you are the first person that I can recall that has had BOTH at the same time. 

Edited by Frank1940
4 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

@remotevisitor has an excellent point!!!!  In WIN7 (I don't run WIN10), one would go to Control Panel  >>>  Networking and Sharing Center.  Then look to see the 'Type' of Network--- Home, Work or Public.  If it is Public that is the most secure one (makes it virtually impossible to share your computer or connect to another network device or service) you can pick.  Work is the next secure and Home has the least security features enabled.  (With WIN7, in the left pane, there is a "Change advance sharing settings" link which will allow you to control to some extent what you can share and how you do it.  I don't know if WIN10 has this feature...    )

Now, WIN7 was changed a few months back to eliminate 'Network Discovery' for the Work type network.  You now have to use HOME network type to have network discovery. And I know that MS has been making WIN10 SMB access even more secure (which means more restrictions and things that stop working) through their "push' updating policy.  This is particularly true for WIN10 Home users.  You will never know when you got an update because MS does NOT tell you! 

EDIT:  The point that I was trying to make is that you are not trying to make your computer more secure!  You are really trying to make it less secure so that you can use it the way that you want-- not MS's.  

One more point, this post is about accessing the files on your server.  There is the second issue of GUI access.  It is a separate second issue/problem.  The two might be related in some way but you are the first person that I can recall that has had BOTH at the same time. 

Thanks for the long reply! My computer is set to Home environment with is the less secure setting. It’s just how windows 10 describe it that makes it confusing  (public and secure).

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, miicar said:

nothing?  im having the same issue with windows7 pro after updating unraid past 6.5.x.  if i "roll back" it works again...sometimes the login appears, mostly not.  local access is fine, shares appear.  can ping etc my unraid from W$7.   

Are you having problems with accessing the GUI or accessing the shares?  Next, you really need to get a Diagnostics file to post up in a new post.  You can do this from (1) the GUI--   Tools   >>>   Diagnostics    -- or (2) the console (keyboard and monitor connected to the server) by typing  diagnostics  at the command line prompt.  

Also, as I read your post, I am confused.  What does this mean?

1 hour ago, miicar said:

local access is fine, shares appear.

Edited by Frank1940
1 hour ago, miicar said:

nothing?  im having the same issue with windows7 pro after updating unraid past 6.5.x.  if i "roll back" it works again...sometimes the login appears, mostly not.  local access is fine, shares appear.  can ping etc my unraid from W$7.   

cmon man, trying making a new thread instead of this necromancing of someone else thread with a similar, but not same, issue.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2019 at 9:48 PM, Frank1940 said:

Are you having problems with accessing the GUI or accessing the shares?  Next, you really need to get a Diagnostics file to post up in a new post.  You can do this from (1) the GUI--   Tools   >>>   Diagnostics    -- or (2) the console (keyboard and monitor connected to the server) by typing  diagnostics  at the command line prompt.  

Also, as I read your post, I am confused.  What does this mean?

After upgrade, accessing the GUI from a networked PC.  the shares are there, the GUI works from the local machine (monitor/keyboard hooked up directly), but it just times out on the browser (once in a while the UID/PASS comes up, but then times out as well)

formatted the USB drive, "make bootable" (as admin), and moved config folder over