Few n00b questions

Hi,

I'll soon be purchasing unraid but have a couple of questions first

I'll soon be starting to populate the new array with data. At some point over the Christmas period I will be building a new RIG and then moving the HDDs and USB to it.

1. Can you see any issue with moving both the USB and HDDs to new hardware..? in relation to licence | data and usability..?

2. If for some reason the USB dies, do I loose all my config | data or does it keep info on the HDDs too..?

3. Is there a way to duplicate the USB like I will be doing for cache | parity..?

thanks

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

1. Can you see any issue with moving both the USB and HDDs to new hardware..? in relation to licence | data and usability..?

Not a problem as long as all disks are connected to standard SATA ports and/or to an HBA, no RAID controllers or USB enclosures.

2. If for some reason the USB dies, do I loose all my config | data or does it keep info on the HDDs too..?

You can and should keep a backup of your flash drive, but even if you don't the data can be easily recovered, you would just need to reconfigure the server settings.

3. Is there a way to duplicate the USB like I will be doing for cache | parity..?

Not a mirror function, like mentioned just keep a backup, you can do that by clicking on the flash drive on the main page.

thanks, I plan to have a few 8TB USB3 devices in the raid set however notice the response above to USB

10 hours ago, reddevil said:

Not a problem as long as all disks are connected to standard SATA ports and/or to an HBA, no RAID controllers or USB enclosures.

is there any reason?

Edited by reddevil

thanks, I plan to have a few 8TB USB3 devices in the raid set however notice the response above to USB

is there any reason?

I assume you are talking about USB drives?     The reason that it is not recommended to connect array drives via USB is that they tend to get momentary disconnects which results in Unraid disabling them.    If your USB connections do not suffer from this then you get away with using USB for array drives.

15 minutes ago, reddevil said:

it's just until I can afford a big case | mobo | cpu replacement..... 6 x 8TB drives just wiped me out :(

itimpi your sig, 18+ drives.... wow... big case? :D 

I use the Antec 1200 that can take 20 drives using 4x5-in-3 hot swap modules.    Not too large actually and it comfortably fits under the desk out of the way.

i have seen others talking about systems with 40-50 drives - that is definitely large!