Should I replace drive or no?

TUMS

This WD red 4tb has almost 4 years power on hours so it's already out of warranty.  It's a low raw read error rate of 22 but the rest of the smart report looks good.  I don't think it's changed in awhile.  Just wondering if I should replace it. 

My first instincts is to buy a replacement drive just to have on hand but then let this 4TB drive run for a while longer in my server but watch it closely.

smart report attached

WDC_WD40EFRX-68WT0N0_WD-WCC4EFAKRE43-20181128-0634.txt

I would not be replacing this disk.  You need to read this Wikipedia document:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#Lack_of_common_interpretation

The  Raw_Read_Error_Rate 'number' is a vendor specific number and does mean much to any one without a knowing that the significance the vendor has assigned to that figure.  The SMART parameters that most folks use to determine disk health are 5 ,187 ,188, 197, 198, and 199.  And, parameter 199 is usually NOT a disk error but usually a cable issue (most likely) or a bad controller (very unlikely).  

EDIT Age ona hard disk is not a bad thing.  The longer is runs, the less likely it is to fail.  (Until it reaches its natural end-of-life stage.  Your disk is in the 30-60 people age range.  In those terms, end-of-life is 80+ years.) 

Edited by Frank1940
14 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

I would not be replacing this disk.  You need to read this Wikipedia document:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#Lack_of_common_interpretation

The  Raw_Read_Error_Rate 'number' is a vendor specific number and does mean much to any one without a knowing that the significance the vendor has assigned to that figure.  The SMART parameters that most folks use to determine disk health are 5 ,187 ,188, 197, 198, and 199.  And, parameter 199 is usually NOT a disk error but usually a cable issue (most likely) or a bad controller (very unlikely).  

hmmm, all my other 4TB reds are showing 0 for raw read error rate.  This one is showing 22. 

EDIT Age ona hard disk is not a bad thing.  The longer is runs, the less likely it is to fail.  (Until it reaches its natural end-of-life stage.  Your disk is in the 30-60 people age range.  In those terms, end-of-life is 80+ years.) 

Yeah about the age of the drive, I wasn't too worried about it.  I just said that to let people know that it was out of warranty anyway so I can't send it in for RMA.

As I said this is a vendor specific parameter.  One of my older Seagate drives has a value of this parameter of 19549880.  You could google and see if you can find out if WD has releases information regarding what the significance of this parameter number is and how it should be interpreted.  

I think WD drives should be reading 0 under raw value in ideal conditions but I will run with it till it starts failing smart tests.

Thank you for your time Frank.

Ideally you want that value to be zero but a low number of errors doesn't mean you need to replace the disk now, more importantly is if there were any read errors, and you got some but it was a long time ago, so if the attribute doesn't increase, or at least not by much, and there are no more read errors (assuming you're doing regularly parity checks) you are fine for now.

• Like 1