What do you do with stored photos?

surfshack66

I'm curious what people are doing with photos they store on unraid.

Many years ago, prior to unraid, I lost a number of photos from an international trip. Since then, I've made sure to follow the 3-2-1 backup strategy.

Now that they are properly backed up, I'm wondering what to do with them. It seems like they just sit in their share and go about untouched.

So - if you use unraid to store family/trip photos, what do you do with them, if anything?

On 11/28/2018 at 12:04 PM, whipdancer said:

Other than just making sure we have multiple copies backed up - we use a Nix to display them.  You could do it yourself with an RPi or something, but I didn't want to work that hard.

https://www.nixplay.com/nix-frames/

These looks nice. I like this idea as well, although I went down the rabbit hole of creating this myself...

On 11/28/2018 at 12:10 PM, Hoopster said:

We have them organized in a Plex Photo library.  They can be easily accessed and displayed on the many devices on which we have Plex clients installed.

I should do this at a minimum too. I did have Lychee up and running for a while but I didn't like the idea of using 2-3x space for each picture for thumbnails, etc. Also, Lychee doesn't (or didn't) have multiple users, so I had to share the credentials out.

27 minutes ago, surfshack66 said:

I should do this at a minimum too. I did have Lychee up and running for a while but I didn't like the idea of using 2-3x space for each picture for thumbnails, etc. Also, Lychee doesn't (or didn't) have multiple users, so I had to share the credentials out.

Plex makes it easy to access them from anywhere.  Since I have shared my Plex libraries with family members, they can access them under their own credentials.

1 minute ago, Hoopster said:

Plex makes it easy to access them from anywhere.  Since I have shared my Plex libraries with family members, they can access them under their own credentials.

I share my Plex library too, however, not all of my relatives have Plex. Also, Plex doesn't allow "friends" to download the photos.

3 minutes ago, surfshack66 said:

Plex doesn't allow "friends" to download the photos

Mostly my family just likes to look at the photos and if they want some downloaded, I upload them to Google Drive. 

Since my family all have a phone, tablet, TV, PC, etc, on which they can download a Plex app, I guess that works for us but may not for those who have not been "Plexified" or don't want to be. 😀

I have a subset of our photos in their own cache-only user share, where they can be used by other devices on my network as wallpapers or screensavers without spinning any of my disks.

I have a wallpaper changer on our desktop that randomly changes to a new picture every hour. It can be fun to see those old photos and try to remember where they were taken.

Most of those photos are landscapes from our many travel adventures.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

I have a subset of our photos in their own cache-only user share, where they can be used by other devices on my network as wallpapers or screensavers without spinning any of my disks.

I have a wallpaper changer on our desktop that randomly changes to a new picture every hour.

That's a great idea.  My wife would love that.  She has taken a mere 75,000 photos in the last four years and there are ~160,000 in the Plex library.

I would definitely want to make a much smaller subset for the wallpaper/screensaver rotation. 

5 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Mostly my family just likes to look at the photos and if they want some downloaded, I upload them to Google Drive. 

Since my family all have a phone, tablet, TV, PC, etc, on which they can download a Plex app, I guess that works for us but may not for those who have not been "Plexified" or don't want to be. 😀

That's a good idea. Also, you're right. It's easy enough to download the Plex app. I suppose the holidays would be a good time to show relatives how to download and use it.

7 minutes ago, trurl said:

I have a wallpaper changer on our desktop that randomly changes to a new picture every hour. It can be fun to see those old photos and try to remember where they were taken.

Most of those photos are landscapes from our many travel adventures.

That's a nice idea too.

I looked into Nix, mentioned earlier in this thread, and stumbled across DAKboard, which essentially is a monitor with a custom dashboard to display photos, etc. There's a monthly fee though. From there, I found MagicMirror - an open source smart mirror platform. I created a docker on unraid to test it out. Here's an example of one that displays pictures.

• 3 months later...