Possibility of using PCI-e Wi-Fi card

fitur

I've recently moved to a new apartment and have no space nor ethernet ports where I can put my server. 

Instead of connecting my unRAID server directly through a cable, I'd like to utilize my AC Wi-Fi, hence the question: is any of these PCI-e Wi-Fi cards available in unRAID?

• TP-Link Archer T9E - AC1900

• Asus PCE-AC56

On 11/29/2018 at 8:26 AM, fitur said:

I've recently moved to a new apartment and have no space nor ethernet ports where I can put my server. 

Instead of connecting my unRAID server directly through a cable, I'd like to utilize my AC Wi-Fi, hence the question: is any of these PCI-e Wi-Fi cards available in unRAID?

• TP-Link Archer T9E - AC1900

• Asus PCE-AC56

unRAID does not support WiFi directly.  It requires a wired Ethernet connection.  However, you can use an Ethernet to Wi-Fi bridging device.  Connect your server via Ethernet to the bridge and it will connect to your router/access point via WiFi.

Something like this WiFi bridge should work.  Of course there are others as well.  The one I linked only goes up to wireless N speeds and not AC, but, you can look for other options if you can spend a bit more, depending on which wireless standards your router/access point(s) supports

Something like these powerline adpaters may also work for you.  They turn your in-wall wiring into an Ethernet cable.  You connect one end to your server and the other to the router or switch.

Neither option will be as fast or as reliable as direct wired Ethernet, but, if you can't do that, at least you have some alternatives.

Edited by Hoopster
14 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Something like these powerline adpaters may also work for you.  They turn your in-wall wiring into an Ethernet cable.  You connect one end to your server and the other to the router or switch.

Neither option will be as fast or as reliable as direct wired Ethernet, but, if you can't do that, at least you have some alternatives.

I have no experience in power lines, but I've heard that they're terrible. Can I expect a solid 100 mbps connection in a brand new house?

24 minutes ago, fitur said:

I have no experience in power lines, but I've heard that they're terrible. Can I expect a solid 100 mbps connection in a brand new house?

Depends on the quality of the adapters and the wiring.  I used  them once in a place where I had poor WiFi.  It was better than my WiFi at that time, but, certainly nowhere near as fast as Ethernet.  The adapters I linked claim up to 600 mbps.  I doubt they provide that even in the best of conditions, but 100 mbps seems reasonable if the wiring is good.  I think I got around 120-150 mbps with the ones I was using and it was older wiring.

If you have good WiFi speeds, you may find the bridge idea works well for you.

With either option, there are a lot of variables so it is hard to say exactly what speeds you will see, but, a consistent 100 mbps should not be out of the question.

Edited by Hoopster

I have a bit of experience with the power lines. They can work wonders but they have limitations. The most important one is with 3 phase electric installations; in which case if the plugs concerned are on different phases they will not work at any reasonable speed. At my parents we have 3 of them. 2 of them are connected at over 100mbs speeds but the one-third one in the basement is barely managing 2mbs.  

They are also affected by electric variations, my previous apartment had electric heaters and when they turned on in caused important slowdowns (which in the end meant I put an ethernet cable). 

I would say if you know someone who has any you should try out; its the only way to be sure. 

Edited by oliverde8