Reorganize data from Disk shares to User shares

rsampayo

Hello,

Newbie here.

I just finished setting up my first Unraid. 2 x 8TB , 2 x 2TBs.  I transfered all my data. I filled the first 8TB and started on the second. After hours of copying all the data I realized that you can create User shares. 

How can I reorganize all my data (Movies, Pictures, etc) from disk shares to user shares? 

I want to create 3 User shares : Movies, Pictures and others and what to have al my data in them.

8 minutes ago, rsampayo said:

How can I reorganize all my data (Movies, Pictures, etc) from disk shares to user shares? 

All top level folders on the drives are user shares.

Just go to settings - global share settings and enable user shares and highly recommended to disable disk shares.

If you enable User Shares, then it is very likely that you will already have quite a number of User Shares since as mentioned they are just the top level folders. If you have any files at the top level of any of your disks, then they will not be in a User Share and so won't be accessible except by Disk Share.

But, you really should disable disk shares because you can lose data if you mix user shares and disk shares when managing your files.

So, do you have any files at the top level of any of your disks? Or are they all in folders?

48 minutes ago, rsampayo said:

I dont have any files in the top level folders. In each disk has a subfolder named  Movies, Pictures, Others. 

Disk1. 8TB at 85%

Disk2. 8TB at 25%

Disk3. 2TB at 0%

Disk4. 2TB at 0%

Then

Stop the array.

Go to Settings - Global Share Settings.

Set Enable disk shares to No.

Set Enable user shares to Yes.

Apply.

Start the array.

Then go to Shares - User Shares and you should see your user shares there. They will all have default settings, but you can change the settings for each one by clicking on the user share name to get to its page.

16 minutes ago, rsampayo said:

Will that redistribute the load over all my drives?

Enabling user shares and changing allocation method, free space, split levels, etc or other settings will not move any data.  The settings will apply to data stored in the shares moving forward.  It's a good idea to look at the help on these settings before deciding what is best for you.

If you wish to move things around, you may want to look into the unBalance plugin.

• Like 1