Ability to Pause Parity Check

spl147

1 hour ago, Fireball3 said:

@itimpi

May I add my 2 ct. for consideration as you're still in development.

Several people are using the S3 standby plugin.
The plugin performs some checks to evaluate if it can issue the S3 standby command.
Do you think you can use that work to implement the "pause parity" feature in such a way,
as to run automatically when the server is running idle?
e.g. if there is "low activity" on the NIC or
if the "running hours" is the only condition that is blocking the S3 sleep.
(Probably need both to be able to stop the check when NIC load goes up again)
This would be a very useful feature.

I am afraid that certainly will not make my initial release.   That is concentrating on you providing a start-stop time for running parity check increments.   It is something that can be considered as a 'wishlist' item to look into when the base functionality is working well.   However any development will be hindered by the fact that my Unraid server does not support S3 sleep so testing will be difficult.

A minor issue (one I can live with if it's impossible to fix) is that the duration is reset to zero when you restart / unpause a check. This means you end up with speeds like the one attached - I was in a meeting otherwise I would have paused and restarted with a minute to go to really demonstrate the issue.

Screenshot_54.png

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

However any development will be hindered by the fact that my Unraid server does not support S3 sleep so testing will be difficult.

It has been a while since i used the S3 sleep plugin, but I vaguely remember a debug mode where it would do all the decision making and output to the log but not actually execute a sleep command at the end. If not I am sure the sleep script could be modified to make that happen. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 1:09 PM, Fireball3 said:

@itimpi

May I add my 2 ct. for consideration as you're still in development.

Several people are using the S3 standby plugin.
The plugin performs some checks to evaluate if it can issue the S3 standby command.
Do you think you can use that work to implement the "pause parity" feature in such a way,
as to run automatically when the server is running idle?
e.g. if there is "low activity" on the NIC or
if the "running hours" is the only condition that is blocking the S3 sleep.
(Probably need both to be able to stop the check when NIC load goes up again)
This would be a very useful feature.

I have added this to the Wish List section of the opening post in the forum Support thread for this plugin.   Whether this will prove to be practical for this plugin I do no know.  

• Like 1