Equal Spread Loading of Data

gsd2012

I just moved all my data around to convert to xfs using the instructions posted in the forum. I used UnBalance to move the data from one full drive to another empty one until they were all converted over. The question I have is some drives have more than others. Is there a way the evenly transfer the data equally across each drive? I looked around UnBalance but it only scatters the data. Is there another tool to equally transfer the data over all the drives?

Well I though since it does that anyway or would it be best to fill up from drive 1 on until drive 6? My  fear is I lost drive one and it does not rebuild right so I lose more. if spread out I don't lose as much if one fails. This is where I am unsure of the right way to do the drives.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

I have the same theory.  Whenever I increase the capacity of an array drive, I just use Krusader and move so-many gigs from disk1 to diskX, disk2 to diskX until they are the same rough size.

Thanks Squid that was what I was looking for. I using UnBalance but just installed Krusader today. Any tips on moving it all around without losing anything or corrupting any data?

1 hour ago, Squid said:

ONLY USE /media/DISKx  for source and destination.  DO NOT USE /media/user.  If you mix user shares and disk shares during a move / copy, you will corrupt data

If that is the case where is the best location to keep Appdata then? I noticed it was spread across all DISKx drives but it shows it was slated for mnt/user.

15 minutes ago, gsd2012 said:

If that is the case where is the best location to keep Appdata then? I noticed it was spread across all DISKx drives but it shows it was slated for mnt/user.

That is exactly what user shares are. Every folder in the root of the actual disk is a user share, and they are all merged into a single view in the user share mode.

Normally you would set appdata to cache prefer, and the bulk if not all of appdata would live on your SSD cache pool.

@Jonathanm

Ok I 100% agree on that just trying to move it all to Cache since I am adding new SSDs to create a cache pool, however being new I ended up putting the appdata on mnt/user (oops). I am just trying to make sure everything is in their right places. So Media is User Shares and all the background system stuff on cache like dockers, etc.

7 minutes ago, gsd2012 said:

@Jonathanm

Ok I 100% agree on that just trying to move it all to Cache since I am adding new SSDs to create a cache pool, however being new I ended up putting the appdata on mnt/user (oops). I am just trying to make sure everything is in their right places. So Media is User Shares and all the background system stuff on cache like dockers, etc.

You misunderstand. cache IS a disk. In the case of multiple drives in a cache pool, it's still presented as a single cache disk. /mnt/user/appdata IS the same as /mnt/cache/appdata, as well as /mnt/disk1/appdata. ALL the array disks plus the cache pool are part of /mnt/user.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

That is exactly what user shares are. Every folder in the root of the actual disk is a user share, and they are all merged into a single view in the user share mode.

Normally you would set appdata to cache prefer, and the bulk if not all of appdata would live on your SSD cache pool.

So best place to put appdate is mnt/cache or still keep it on mnt/user? I have it set for cache prefer now. Now don't have the cache pool yet just single cache drive that is coming very soon. I just want to make sure I don't move it if it is in right place.

2 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

You misunderstand. cache IS a disk. In the case of multiple drives in a cache pool, it's still presented as a single cache disk. /mnt/user/appdata IS the same as /mnt/cache/appdata, as well as /mnt/disk1/appdata. ALL the array disks plus the cache pool are part of /mnt/user.

Ah got it

3 minutes ago, gsd2012 said:

I have it set for cache prefer now. Now don't have the cache pool yet just single cache drive that is coming very soon. I just want to make sure I don't move it if it is in right place.

That's perfect. When you get the cache drive set up, temporarily disable the docker and vm services (not just stop the dockers) so there is no longer a menu item for vm or docker in the gui. Then, run the mover. It will take all the appdata folders currently scattered across the data disks and move them to the cache drive. After that is complete, you can re-enable the services and start your dockers. They will be none the wiser that they are now on a different physical disk, because the /mnt/user/appdata path is still valid.