No access to delete on share

jang430

Hi.  I created a share named folderB, only accessible by user02. user02 has read/write access to that share.  Now, I've created in sabnzbd a category named folderB.  When category folderB is applied to an nzb, it goes to, well, folderB (disk #1 & #2), not using cache.  

Now, when I download a file classified as folderB, it goes to that folder, no problem.  I access that share via my Mac, when connecting to it, I'm asked the registered user, name and password.  I do, and I get access for it.  Now, when I try to delete it, I'm not allowed.  I have to go to tools, New Permissions, let it run, before I can delete the file/ folder.  How do I fix this?

Furthermore, my other SMB shares are marked Public under security settings.  When I'm connected as user02, don't I get access to public files/ folders automatically?  I have to disconnect, and reconnect as guest before I can access public shares.

If I’m understanding your post correctly, you’re saying that when you access the share from your Mac it changes permissions on the files. I’ve had problems with this in the past due to having Enhanced OSX Compatibility enabled. Just a wild guess on my part, but you might want to check and be sure this is disabled.

Also, I would recommend you use Docker Safe New Permissions tool rather than New Permissions.

People using Windows with Unraid via the SMB protocol end up with very lax permissions on their files. If, as a Mac user you use the AFP protocol or you use SMB with with the Enhanced OS X Compatibility enabled, the permissions are much tighter. That's not a problem if you only use one Mac or multiple Macs with the same account details, but if you mix Macs and Windows or if you use certain Docker applications the issue can arise because the user creating the files (usually the 'nobody' user) is different from the user who accesses them on your Mac. Often the problem is that you can read files but not change them (i.e. write to them). I'm not a fan of the New Permissions tool - it's a very blunt instrument, giving global read/write access to everything. Instead I have my own scripts that adjust the group permissions, since all users - including 'nobody' - belong to the group 'users'.

3 hours ago, wgstarks said:

If I’m understanding your post correctly, you’re saying that when you access the share from your Mac it changes permissions on the files. I’ve had problems with this in the past due to having Enhanced OSX Compatibility enabled. Just a wild guess on my part, but you might want to check and be sure this is disabled.

Also, I would recommend you use Docker Safe New Permissions tool rather than New Permissions.

Indeed it is :D . Turned it off now.  Will see if that fixes things.

2 hours ago, John_M said:

People using Windows with Unraid via the SMB protocol end up with very lax permissions on their files. If, as a Mac user you use the AFP protocol or you use SMB with with the Enhanced OS X Compatibility enabled, the permissions are much tighter. That's not a problem if you only use one Mac or multiple Macs with the same account details, but if you mix Macs and Windows or if you use certain Docker applications the issue can arise because the user creating the files (usually the 'nobody' user) is different from the user who accesses them on your Mac. Often the problem is that you can read files but not change them (i.e. write to them). I'm not a fan of the New Permissions tool - it's a very blunt instrument, giving global read/write access to everything. Instead I have my own scripts that adjust the group permissions, since all users - including 'nobody' - belong to the group 'users'.

I assume I download these files as nobody.  Is there anything I can do to download files as another user?  In Unraid, there's no sign in before you access anything on the dashboard, or the apps (most of my apps are docker apps).  Therefore, there's no way to identify me as a different user.  What's a solution here?

7 hours ago, jang430 said:

I assume I download these files as nobody.  Is there anything I can do to download files as another user?  In Unraid, there's no sign in before you access anything on the dashboard, or the apps (most of my apps are docker apps).  Therefore, there's no way to identify me as a different user.  What's a solution here?

Some containers allow you to specify which user they run as, but most seems to run as 'nobody' by default. I don't use downloaders so I can't comment on specifics. If you need other users to have write access simply enable the group write bit:

chmod g+w filename

12 hours ago, John_M said:

all users - including 'nobody' - belong to the group 'users'.

There's more than one way to give access to a different user. Either use the group access bits or change the owner of the file. I choose the former. Looks like you would prefer the latter, in which case

chown myusername file

would do it.

Hi! @John_M @Squid

In my current setup, all downloads are initially downloaded to downloads/temp, and depending on category/ label I assign to it, it gets moved to a certain folder, e.g. folderB.  This way, all downloads are started by user nobody, so starting a file to download is not a problem. 

My idea is, only user02 has access folderB, and can read/ write to all files in that folder.  I have somewhat this setup.  user02 has read access to that folder, but to delete files and folders inside folderB is an issue.