VM settings change stuck at updating....

chaz

Same problem here - when adding "2nd Unraid Share" it also becomes stuck on updating. The VM seems to be able to be updated normally otherwise - only this causes the problem...

HOWEVER - when I manually edited the XML to add the second filesystem bus (which is put on 0x06, I think, as the first 'bus' ID available) I can now 'save' the settings even in GUI mode...

• 4 weeks later...

Has this issue been resolved? I've been trying to add a HD so that my VM will be able to use it, as per Spaceinvaders excellent video, to no avail. Stuck at updating... I tried changing the Primary vDisk to manual and, as someone suggested, changed the name of the vdisk folder name. Nothing seems to work. Can't modify the original VM.

Thanks,

Lev

I am not sure if this had anything to do with it, or not, but the drive I was trying to add was a USB connected one, and appeared at the bottom of the VM modification page. Once I checked that one of, the VM updated immediately and the drive as detected in the VM.

Edited by levster
update
  • 2 months later...

Bump. I have this problem now too, after my previous Windows 10 VM decided to self-destruct randomly one day. Made a new one, set it up once with VNC, then shut it down to edit it via a web browser to include a GPU and sound card pass through. Suffice it to say, editing it, it shits the bed. Any browser, refreshing, etc.

Bueller? Any words on this yet?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/13/2018 at 12:25 AM, bland328 said:

Ah-ha! I may have found the problem:

If I change the Primary vDisk Location from Auto to Manual, I can then Update the VM.

But when I Edit it again, the Primary vDisk Location reverts to Auto.

Thank you this also solved the issue for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone found a way to fix this? Stuck on Updating.. I read a comment where you need to remove ata before the disk and that resolves it?

Is that true? So if I was to use this

/dev/disk/by-id/M_Series_NVMe_SSD_256G_205465464564565

Instead of this

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-M_Series_NVMe_SSD_256G_205465464564565

It will work?

16 minutes ago, alitech said:

Has anyone found a way to fix this? Stuck on Updating.. I read a comment where you need to remove ata before the disk and that resolves it?

Is that true? So if I was to use this

/dev/disk/by-id/M_Series_NVMe_SSD_256G_205465464564565

Instead of this

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-M_Series_NVMe_SSD_256G_205465464564565

It will work?

If its any help, this is how mine looks for the 2nd HDD thats passed through

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD10EZEX-00BN5A0_WD-WMC3F2418

image.png.2edfc1b95978880707623885cc41634d.png

• 2 months later...

TL;DR: Check vdisk path upon editing the template.

I have a VM named Spynet, which has a correct vdisk path by /mnt/user/domains/Skynet/vdisk1.iso

Whenever I edit the template, the template thinks the vdisk location is /mnt/user/domains/Spynet/vdisk1.iso which doesnt actually exist and results in the that dreaded Updating...

The bug here would be, that the template does not remember the manual location and always reverts to auto which always looks from the vdisk inside the VMs namesake folder.

Hope this helps someone.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/12/2018 at 6:25 PM, bland328 said:

Ah-ha! I may have found the problem:

If I change the Primary vDisk Location from Auto to Manual, I can then Update the VM.

But when I Edit it again, the Primary vDisk Location reverts to Auto.

Thanks for the input!  This was my issue as well...still not sure of the exact reason because I've only ever updated via GUI.

• 8 months later...
9 hours ago, Squid said:

Did you switch the vDisk location to Manual?

Yes I tried everything mentioned in the existing threads.

Creating the VM from scratch with the GUI (don't copy the XML) solved the problem for me. Apparently the XML was broken, even though I never touched it manually.

Look at my thread for more infos.

Edited by unifiedmamba