USB Flash Creator on Windows 10 - ERROR

Hi,

So, I'm sitting here trying to create a usb drive for unraid using the flash creator without any kind of luck. I open up the windows version of the app, select stable of version 6.6.6 then chose my usb drive and hit Write. It downloads the media then I'm presented with an error: Couldn't open C:/Users/*****/AppData/Local/Temp/unraid.bootimg.gz. Is there something obvious that I'm missing?

I also tried going for the manual approach but stuck on syslinux. I'm that noob java dev that can't find a single windows binary for that masterpiece.

Edited by DisplayMyName
  • 3 months later...

Had this issue as well, the issue was the part of the path that you have removed with asterisks, my windows username contains the letter 'ö' from the Swedish alphabet and looks like the media creation tool does not like that.

Created a new windows user on the same machine without any special characters, logged in on the machine using that user and then ran the tool and had no issues creating the media after that.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I confirm the issue is related to accented characters in the Windows %USERPROFILE%

One can simply change the TMP path in control panel -> system and security -> system -> advanced system settings -> environment variables.

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp -> c:\TEMP

And set it back to original settings when done.

Edited by jfrere
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 years later...

I'm new to unraid, but pretty shocked that this issue is still present as of 2022-07-24.

Have an accent character in my windows username and just kept getting failures setting up the installer with no helpful error messages.

I mean, do I trust my data with this? can't even program an installer that works outside US of A? and not fixing a install blocker years later?

Not a good look. In fact if I was in a serious setting this experience already disqualified unraid for any serious use.

• 1 year later...