Home video organization advice

wsume99

I'm looking for advice from the community on the automation of home video importing and organization. I've been reading quite a bit and while I am certainly a bit more informed I'm still uncertain of the best way to proceed.

All of my home videos are currently stored on my server. I have the files separated into folders corresponding to the date the video was taken. Some folders have a number of files in them and others are just a single file. I'm pretty happy with the arrangement. My only problem is that copying files over to my server from the SD cards is a PITA and I'm looking to automate this process as much as possible. So my objective is to insert the SD card into my server and automatically copy all the files into newly created folders in my home videos share that correspond to the date the video was taken. Feedback thru the webUI and in the syslog would be ideal.

My first plan was to utilize the Unassigned Drives plugin to auto mount the SD card and then run a shell script to copy the files over to the array. There is even a sample script in support thread for the plugin to do this except it only copies the files to a single folder. I started searching and found a python script on stack overflow that claims to do exactly what I need for folder creation but I'm not sure how to implement that into a shell script via UD. So more research is needed.

I also found a docker container for digiKam is available. I have never used this program before but it claims to be able to import files off SD cards and create folders during the process. Not sure if I can set it up to run in the background and automatically import the files. I'd prefer to not have to do anything other than insert/remove the SD card.

So I am basically just looking for advice from the community on how to best achieve the functionality I am looking for. I'm open to other ideas or approaches that achieve my goals thru alternate methods and I'm not afraid to put in some work to achieve them.

4 minutes ago, wsume99 said:

I'm looking for advice from the community on the automation of home video importing and organization. I've been reading quite a bit and while I am certainly a bit more informed I'm still uncertain of the best way to proceed.

All of my home videos are currently stored on my server. I have the files separated into folders corresponding to the date the video was taken. Some folders have a number of files in them and others are just a single file. I'm pretty happy with the arrangement. My only problem is that copying files over to my server from the SD cards is a PITA and I'm looking to automate this process as much as possible. So my objective is to insert the SD card into my server and automatically copy all the files into newly created folders in my home videos share that correspond to the date the video was taken. Feedback thru the webUI and in the syslog would be ideal.

My first plan was to utilize the Unassigned Drives plugin to auto mount the SD card and then run a shell script to copy the files over to the array. There is even a sample script in support thread for the plugin to do this except it only copies the files to a single folder. I started searching and found a python script on stack overflow that claims to do exactly what I need for folder creation but I'm not sure how to implement that into a shell script via UD. So more research is needed.

I also found a docker container for digiKam is available. I have never used this program before but it claims to be able to import files off SD cards and create folders during the process. Not sure if I can set it up to run in the background and automatically import the files. I'd prefer to not have to do anything other than insert/remove the SD card.

So I am basically just looking for advice from the community on how to best achieve the functionality I am looking for. I'm open to other ideas or approaches that achieve my goals thru alternate methods and I'm not afraid to put in some work to achieve them.

I believe filebot does this, also sonarr, radarr