PCI Rebind to VFIO

nayr

see: https://github.com/andre-richter/vfio-pci-bind/blob/master/vfio-pci-bind.sh

I'm using above script on boot to rebind a mpt3sas controller to vfio-pci so it can be passed through to a VM, works great.. would be nice if UI had similar functionality, where you could select devices to rebind to vfio-pci based upon address so they can be reclaimed from kernel modules that might grab em and prevent em from being passed through.. In my case I have 2 identical cards, one for UnRaid, one for a VM (FreeNAS) so blacklisting mpt3sas would not be desired.

I'd expect it to work for PCIe SSD's too since I didnt see any of them available to be passed through.. tho im not needing em, yet.

Cheers,

-nayr

ah I did not find that option, everything I found was trying to use PCI ID's and that was not gonna work since they were both the same.

# lspci -nn |grep SAS
09:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller [0107]: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [1000:0087] (rev 05)
42:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller [0107]: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [1000:0087] (rev 05)

Thank you, I dont like this script solution im using now.. felt like a big hack waiting to break on update.. I still feel it would be a useful UI feature, I'm happy editing boot options to get devices to passthrough, but I get a feeling a large part of the unraid audience are more windows users (or at least SMB gets more love than NFS)

Edited by nayr
i was wrong
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...