gtx1070 error 43

J.Nerdy

I have followed @spaceinvaderone's  great video tutorials to get a VM up. 

I can not get the 1070 to passthrough without windows disabling it.  I have tried:

• disabling hyper-v (it seems to reenable itself

• PCIe ACS override to break out iommu groups

• adding vBIOS for the card (asus gtx1070 strix OC gaming)

• hex editing a tech power up bios

It is the only GPU in the system

- Unraid 6.6.6

- gigabyte auros 390 ultra

- win 10 pro october update

- latest nvidia driver

Must the card be in the primary slot if its the only GPU?  (it occupies the second PCIe slot).

Also, unrelated... can I move my vdisk to my cache pool for a performance bump? (960 pro nVme and evo 860 sata) 

If there is performance upgrade would steps be stopping VM, move share 'domains' to cache, invoke mover, point template and restart VM?

Thanks... I am stumped and have spent several nights googling and trying path after path.

1 hour ago, bigmac5753 said:

Yes any GPU can be used but ideally just a basic one as all it will ever do is display the console.  It can run without a monitor but you must use a dummy plug.

Appreciate your quick response.

It makes sense.... on boot, console is occupying resources, so VM cant assign interrupts.

I have forced (through BIOS) to make IGFX the preferred and that is what the console is booting.

Still getting the error...

Edited by J.Nerdy

If you were to move the monitor over to the card before a VM is started, it's highly likely to move the unRAID console to the card.  Doing it after a VM is started should be OK but ideally you should use a dummy plug.  Once unRAID has started, there's hardly any need to access the console but if you need to, it can be accessed from the web GUI.

Ok.  So I have unRAID booting to the iGFX.

Start the VM.

Then swap the cables, still getting error 43

When I swap the cable back, console shows the IRQ 16 has been dissabled (I am assuming that is the interrupt for the 1070).

Frown town.

EDIT: even before swapping the hdmi cable, i can splashtop in and see the error 43 kicked out in device manager.

Edited by J.Nerdy