VM audio problems

Paintsu

Hello!

I have problems with my vm audio (crackling audio). They started a few months ago when i updated my unraid os and got worse a few days ago when i updated to 6.6.5.

Things that i have tried to solve this issue:

• Someone that had problems here in forum said that this had helped: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/60010-guide-how-to-passthrough-intel-chipset-audio/ but it didnt help me
  • Reinstalled my vm from scratch usin Windos 10 1809 iso
  • Started my vm without gpu sound controller passed through and then enabling passthrough again

I think msi utility v2 should show 2 instances of gpu when using gpu audio. Mine shows only one.

I have attached my system devices and vm xml to this post.

vm xml.txt

system_devices.PNG

Hello, i have tried to enable msi mode for gpu. It shows enabled in msi utility v2 but as i said i there should be two instances: gpu and gpu sound device. The sound device is not showing up in msi utility. I also tied to tweak my registry in vm, i didnt find my gpu's sound card from there att all with pci id.

Just had this issue myself. Here is the fix that finally worked.

Download the first .zip file here: https://github.com/CHEF-KOCH/MSI-utility/releases/tag/2.0

Locate the file under download in Windows File explorer.

Copy and Paste the file into Program Files (x86).

Right click and run as administrator. 

Select the needed Nvidia devices and click apply.

Restart VM.

Also if you'd like to check that it is enabled, download Putty and login to your server using root@yourserver'snamehere. Then run the command lspci -v -s 1:00 and it will show both the video and audio portion of the GPU and whether or not MSI is enabled. If your GPU is not in the top slot, replace the 1:00 in the command with 2:00 etc. 

Now i got msi enabled for my sound card again and crackling sound is gone. But still one problem persists on both windows installations: the sound lags behind video. Its not noticable at start but after like 10 minutes you really start to notice it. It happens on youtube and plex etc... Any ideas how to fix that? I have applied recommended tweaks to my vm's.