Trouble migrating to new flash drive

Hi all, 

Monday night I tried to update from 6.6.1 to 6.6.6, but upon rebooting I got a SYSLINUX error message saying no configuration file found (somehow the syslinux folder was deleted from my flash drive). This had happened to me in the past, and was previously fixed by running chkdsk on my flash drive, but no such luck this time. The flash drive was telling me it was readonly (on my windows machine) and I was unable to change this through regedit or diskpart, so I bought a new flash drive.

I have a few backups of my previous flash drive (just copied the entire contents of the flash drive via my windows machine) and am trying to restore my config.

First I tried just copying the entire contents of my backup and adding the syslinux folder from a fresh .zip download from the site, but am met with a "smbd no process found" error, and my previous username/password doesn't work.

I then followed the normal procedure for creating a new flash drive, but copied just my config folder over and overwrote any conflicts - same behavior.

Just for a sanity check, I tried putting in an unmodified flash drive straight from the 6.6.6 build, and it worked fine. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks

My usual advice is to just prepare the flash as a new install and copy only the config folder from your backup. But it's best if the backup is very recent or you will lose any settings you made since that backup. It is especially important to use a backup that has your current disk assignments.

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

My usual advice is to just prepare the flash as a new install and copy only the config folder from your backup. But it's best if the backup is very recent or you will lose any settings you made since that backup. It is especially important to use a backup that has your current disk assignments.

I tried that - made a flash as a new install and copied over the config folder. Met with the no smbd process error. 

I tried making both a 6.6.1 (the version I was on before the failed update) and 6.6.6 new install flash drive.

Yes - it gets all the way to the login prompt, and appends the smbd error after a few seconds to the login prompt. 

Hopefully it's not a flash issue as it is a brand new flash drive. In preparing the flash drive, I tried both copying the contents directly and running the bootable script, and also using the usb creator tool

15 minutes ago, tcwatson said:

could there be something about my config folder that is causing the issue?

Where are you copying your config folder from? If from you old suspect flash device then it could indeed be corrupt. If from a backup then it's less likely to be corrupt but more likely to be out of date.

9 minutes ago, John_M said:

Where are you copying your config folder from? If from you old suspect flash device then it could indeed be corrupt. If from a backup then it's less likely to be corrupt but more likely to be out of date.

Copying my config from an older backup ended up fixing the problem, not sure why  I didn't try this first. Thanks!