Server Crashing, Suspected RAM issue

Hey all,

I posted a thread a little while ago relating to my server crashing and couldn't get to the bottom of why it was doing it. After monitoring my server a bit more closely I think it may be an issue with something using all of the memory up. basically after hard restarting my server 9 or so days ago the memory usage has been steadily increasing, until today where it was at 93%, from searching forums I tried restarted all my dockers (deluge, radarr, sonarr, jackett, plex) one by one. after restarting radarr memory usage went down to 73% and after restarting jacket it went down to 50ish% I then had to update a couple of dockers so I stopped all of them and restarted them together. Memory usage is now currently sitting at 30% steady. and nothing is running that should justify that usage. 

I have 8gb which is enough for my needs, and I think the issue ins't with how much I have but with one or more of my dockers suddenly stuffing up and causing my system to allocate ram continuously. 

I have attached my diagnostics file in the hopes someone that actually has a clue about this sort of thing can help me nail down the cause of this annoying problem.

Thank-you in advance!

tower-diagnostics-20181206-1527.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any update to your original post? 

On 12/5/2018 at 11:54 PM, glaedr223 said:

Memory usage is now currently sitting at 30% steady

Newer diagnostics?

On 12/5/2018 at 11:54 PM, glaedr223 said:

one or more of my dockers suddenly stuffing up and causing my system to allocate ram continuously. 

If you have an incorrect Host path in one of your volume mappings then it could be writing to the OS file space instead of mounted Unraid storage. All paths except for those on actual disks and in user shares is in RAM.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 12:21 AM, trurl said:

Is there any update to your original post? 

Newer diagnostics?

If you have an incorrect Host path in one of your volume mappings then it could be writing to the OS file space instead of mounted Unraid storage. All paths except for those on actual disks and in user shares is in RAM.

The issue is still happening, basically I have been restarting all my dockers which pushes the memory usage back down to 30% I have to do this every couple of days to stop the RAM usage hitting 100% and causing the OOM killer to run. I have checked all my mappings and cant see any faults in where they are pointing? I really hope its something simple and i dont have to wipe and reinstall everything because that would be a real pain in the butt.

I have just downloaded and attached a current diagnostics zip.

tower-diagnostics-20190109-1921.zip

12 hours ago, trurl said:

How many dockers do you have?

I've only got a few, Delugevpn, Sonarr, Radarr, Jackett, and Plex Media Server. In the syslog it says plex invoked oom killer? is the reason it says this just because plex was the first application that tried to use some memory when it was all in use?

i had the same problem with you

the issue is mostly the jackett docker

i just made a cron job to restart jackett, sonarr, radarr and lidarr twice a day and i am fine now.

btw the command to restart dockers is docker restart (docker name)

for example: docker restart jackett

if you google jackett memory leak you will find lots of stuff

Edited by technomancer__

Yeah right, so I've had a look and it seems radarr, sonarr and jackett are all suffering from memory leaks. hopefully devs can track them down and fix them soon,

On 1/10/2019 at 8:56 PM, technomancer__ said:

btw the command to restart dockers is docker restart (docker name)

for example: docker restart jackett

Because I stumbled my way through setting up my server could you tell me an example of what I'm entering to set dockers to restart on a timer?

I suggest adding more RAM. (helped me alot!)

If that is not possible, before i had added more ram to my server, i just let that ca auto backup run everyday which automaticly restarts all dockers every day. Thats just a workaround tho. Best is to add more RAM.

Jackett uses crazy RAM. (per indexer it takes mroe)

You could also reduce connections inside deluge, i guess that also lowers RAM useage. Best would be to remove it and use usenet, just btw. More eficient.

Edited by nuhll
7 hours ago, glaedr223 said:

Yeah right, so I've had a look and it seems radarr, sonarr and jackett are all suffering from memory leaks. hopefully devs can track them down and fix them soon,

Because I stumbled my way through setting up my server could you tell me an example of what I'm entering to set dockers to restart on a timer?

i will give you mine exaple

go to /boot/config/plugins/dynamix

now here you can add your cron jobs. make your cron job file here (nano dockerrestart.cron) this will make the file dockerrestart.cron and open it in nano text editor.

after that, use this table to add when you want the command executed

| | | | | |
| | | | | +-- Year (range: 1900-3000)
| | | | +---- Day of the Week (range: 1-7, 1 standing for Monday)
| | | +------ Month of the Year (range: 1-12)
| | +-------- Day of the Month (range: 1-31)
| +---------- Hour (range: 0-23)
+------------ Minute (range: 0-59)

after this space and command (docker restart jacket). I made a script that restarts multiple dockers.

I have posted screenshots in the topic below

btw don't make the same mistake as me. if I am correct it cron runs every minute and if the statement is true it executes it. * means any

Edited by technomancer__
1 hour ago, technomancer__ said:

i will give you mine exaple

go to /boot/config/plugins/dynamix

now here you can add your cron jobs. make your cron job file here (nano dockerrestart.cron) this will make the file dockerrestart.cron and open it in nano text editor.

after that, use this table to add when you want the command executed

| | | | | |
| | | | | +-- Year (range: 1900-3000)
| | | | +---- Day of the Week (range: 1-7, 1 standing for Monday)
| | | +------ Month of the Year (range: 1-12)
| | +-------- Day of the Month (range: 1-31)
| +---------- Hour (range: 0-23)
+------------ Minute (range: 0-59)

after this space and command (docker restart jacket). I made a script that restarts multiple dockers.

I have posted screenshots in the topic below

btw don't make the same mistake as me. if I am correct it cron runs every minute and if the statement is true it executes it. * means any

Or you just google the correct syntax... u can literally search for eery possible combination... :P

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cron+every+5h

• Like 1