H310 IT mode - Drives not detected

From the ebay description

Discrete to SFF-8087 (Reverse breakout) cable

Connector on Case Backplane End: 1 x 36-pin - SFF-8087.

Connector on Raid Controller or Motherboard End: 4 x 7-pin - SATA 

You want forward breakout cables.  Look the same, but wired differently

Edited by Squid
  • 3 months later...

Any updates to this? I have a similar issue, except that some of the drives are being seen, some aren't.

I was able to get UnRaid setup in my office yesterday. Moved it to my house and 5 of 7 devices aren't being seen! I'm running a Dell R710 with the H310 and the drives are all connected to the backplane. 

disk 1 - 5TB Seagate - parity drive - Seen by UnRaid

disk 2 - 2TB Seagate SSHD - storage - NOT seen by UnRaid

disk 3 - 2TB Seagate SSHD - storage - NOT seen by UnRaid

disk 4 - 2TB Seagate SSHD - storage - NOT seen by UnRaid

disk 5 - 2TB Seagate SSHD - storage - NOT seen by UnRaid

disk 6 - 2TB Seagate SSHD - storage - NOT seen by UnRaid

disk 7 - 120GB Intel SSD - cache - Seen by UnRaid

Edited by RickEntrench

I had just put the H310 in IT mode for this new UnRaid server. It did not give me any errors or issues putting it in IT mode nor finding the drives when I started UnRaid the first time. Everything went so smoothly. I thought maybe a cable came loose, but then the two working drives wouldn't work either.

I'm at a loss...

• 8 months later...
Do I have wrong cables?

Hard to tell from just a picture. You need forward breakout cables. Forward and reverse breakout look the same.

On my H310 I had to tape pins 5-6 for drives to be recognized. Since you have tried that perhaps the cables are the issue. Can you find a description of them to verify that they are forward breakout?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 minute ago, Hoopster said:

Hard to tell from just a picture. You need forward breakout cables. Forward and reverse breakout look the same.

On my H310 I had to tape pins 5-6 for drives to be recognized. Since you have tried that perhaps the cables are the issue. Can you find a description of them to verify that they are forward breakout?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All it says on the page (https://allegro.pl/oferta/kabel-mini-sas-sff-8087-4-x-sata-35cm-7781095173) is:
High quality cable, used for connecting SATA drives to the controller with mini-SAS SFF-8087 36PIN controller.

• 1 month later...

Guys sorry start all over, newbee here. 
So i have no idea about formatting the board into IT mode and i started the thread here

As per the only help i received, i should just remove my unraid pendrive and hard discs on the same server. Mount the dell h310 card then the cable sas to sata and the sata connects to a new hard drive. I ll have to run freedos so then once the setup is done as per the instructions. i ll have to connect the unraid os and drives back. 

My questions are that will i be losing the parity or anything i might be messing with? because am removing the unraid os and drive cables?

5 minutes ago, ThePhotraveller said:

Guys sorry start all over, newbee here. 
So i have no idea about formatting the board into IT mode and i started the thread here

As per the only help i received, i should just remove my unraid pendrive and hard discs on the same server. Mount the dell h310 card then the cable sas to sata and the sata connects to a new hard drive. I ll have to run freedos so then once the setup is done as per the instructions. i ll have to connect the unraid os and drives back. 

My questions are that will i be losing the parity or anything i might be messing with? because am removing the unraid os and drive cables?

You can move drives and Unraid pendrive freely. Unraid should redetect all drives after booting. You should run parity check after this kind of operation.

But that has nothing to do with flashing the H310 into IT. When I flashed mine I disconnected all drives and took out Unraid pendrive. All that was connected was the H310 and the USB with firmware.

13 minutes ago, Trylo said:

You can move drives and Unraid pendrive freely. Unraid should redetect all drives after booting. You should run parity check after this kind of operation.

But that has nothing to do with flashing the H310 into IT. When I flashed mine I disconnected all drives and took out Unraid pendrive. All that was connected was the H310 and the USB with firmware.

Am actually waiting for the SAS to SATA cable now. But meanwhile i can start configuring the Dell h310 into IT mode? It should work or shall i wait till the cables come so that i can connect and work with a live drive?

51 minutes ago, ThePhotraveller said:

Am actually waiting for the SAS to SATA cable now. But meanwhile i can start configuring the Dell h310 into IT mode? It should work or shall i wait till the cables come so that i can connect and work with a live drive?

What tee-tee jorge said :)
If you have trouble flashing what helped in my case was rebooting after everystep (not only where it says in the instructions) plus having the right images (I don't know the tutorial you are referring to, but some of the tutorial online have broken tools).

I used this: https://we.tl/t-6FkzMZ7wSJ

I hope you bought forward breakout cables :) First time I had no idea there are two types, I bought the cheapest offer I found and it was not working...

1 hour ago, Trylo said:

What tee-tee jorge said :)
If you have trouble flashing what helped in my case was rebooting after everystep (not only where it says in the instructions) plus having the right images (I don't know the tutorial you are referring to, but some of the tutorial online have broken tools).

I used this: https://we.tl/t-6FkzMZ7wSJ

I hope you bought forward breakout cables :) First time I had no idea there are two types, I bought the cheapest offer I found and it was not working...

Damn i have order for a cheap one though. Coz thats the only available option me at the moment. But what is that forward breakout thing in the first place. 

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B013G4EMH8/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_v0ViEb3KZ1XYW is the one i have ordered.

8 minutes ago, ThePhotraveller said:

Damn i have order for a cheap one though. Coz thats the only available option me at the moment. But what is that forward breakout thing in the first place. 

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B013G4EMH8/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_v0ViEb3KZ1XYW is the one i have ordered.

There are two types, both look identical. Unfortunately a lot of people selling those don't bother to inform which type they are selling. You won't know until you plug it in :)

This is the one I ordered: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00S7KTVN2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1