avag0 9305-24i not detecting all drives

Hi all, I'm new to this card and just installed it.

It seems to only detect drives connected to the first port.  All four connected drives are detected but moving the same cable to other ports on the card leaves them undetected.

If I run the setup tool at boot time (ctrl-c) I see the same thing, just four drives.

Any tips?

I dont know what forward vs reverse breakout means....

Tried the HBA in two identical machines, same result and have now replaced the card, same result :(

Same cables and drives though

I've upgraded the firmware on the HBA, same results, no BIOS update available for MB.

Could this be MB or Drive compatibility?

7 minutes ago, fysmd said:

Could this be MB or Drive compatibility?

If this is true

21 hours ago, fysmd said:

All four connected drives are detected but moving the same cable to other ports on the card leaves them undetected.

seems unlikely to me, but if it's the same with another HBA don't really have more ideas.

I want to say a big thank you, especially to johnnie.black for all the help with my recent issues (not only in this thread!)

I worked out the source of my troubles I think and it was mainly --  >>ME<<

I'm embarrassed to say that I had a compound issue:

1. Two of the five cables I bought seem incompatible, drives connected after one of these cables were not detected!

2. I'm a dick - I had knocked power off for a large number of by drives (2nd PSU!) - THINGS WORK BETTER WHEN PLUGGED IN!

Now I'm over my brain fart I can start to fix properly, the cables I bought (same supplier) are:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/1m-broadcom-sff-8643-to-x4-sata-cable-mini-sas-hd-to-sata-data-port (works)

and 

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/60cm-silverstone-12gb-minisas-hd-sff-8643-to-sata-7pinplussideband-cable (don't work)

What should I be looking for vs avoid in these cables, I'm not seeing the difference :(