(SOLVED) Cache drive -> encrypted

Kir

Hi guys,

After going through encrypting my data drives and moving data back and forth, I'm ready for the next step- cache drive encryption.

I have read some discussion on it, including the fact that TRIM is not supported at the dm-layer, so overprovisioning is the only option at the moment.

I currently have the following:

1. 512Gb cache SSD drive with dockers only formatted btrfs

2. Empty 512Gb SSD drive, newly purchased, not added to the config

Desired outcome: 2 mirrored cache drive formatted btrfs-enc

Could somebody be so kind to list the steps of what needs to be done?

Thank you

blkdiscard: /dev/sdi: BLKDISCARD ioctl failed: Remote I/O error

In log:

Dec 18 16:31:12 Storage kernel: sd 1:0:8:0: [sdi] tag#3 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
Dec 18 16:31:12 Storage kernel: sd 1:0:8:0: [sdi] tag#3 Sense Key : 0x5 [current]
Dec 18 16:31:12 Storage kernel: sd 1:0:8:0: [sdi] tag#3 ASC=0x21 ASCQ=0x0
Dec 18 16:31:12 Storage kernel: sd 1:0:8:0: [sdi] tag#3 CDB: opcode=0x42 42 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 18 00
Dec 18 16:31:12 Storage kernel: print_req_error: critical target error, dev sdi, sector 998244232

Following this thread with interest. 

I just moved all my drives over to encrypted fs, mostly to protect the data if hw stolen. 

I have 2 SSDs as cache and fs is encrypted btrfs in raid 1. Trim "should" work even on encrypted drives, right? I understand it won't on unraid (yet?) but what problems can this cause me? Over provisioning is an acceptable workaround if it helps with anything. But how do we do that? ;-)

Would be nice to be able to set size when formatting the drives in the gui. Just leave some unformatted is what over provisioning does? 

Edited by Niklas
1 hour ago, Niklas said:

have 2 SSDs as cache and fs is encrypted btrfs in raid 1. Trim "should" work even on encrypted drives, right?

No, you should get an unsupported operation error.

1 hour ago, Niklas said:

Over provisioning is an acceptable workaround if it helps with anything. But how do we do that? ;-)

On 12/9/2018 at 12:25 AM, johnnie.black said:

google Unraid HPA, it should work if you create one, but before doing it use blkdiscard or secure erase on the SSDs.

15 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

That means the SSD is on a controller that doesn't support trim, use onboard SATA instead (set to AHCI)

It's connected to the same controller as the other SSD, and I'm seeing this in the syslog:

root: /var/lib/docker: 6.8 GiB (7294545920 bytes) trimmed

• Kir changed the title to (SOLVED) Cache drive -> encrypted