Clean simple procdure to install Plex on Unriad version 6.6.6

I am new and still getting my head around the platform, and on of the things I would like to do is set up a Plex server on my Unraid.

at the moment I have a plex server on a QNAP server, which is ok, but has is moments.

I have looked and found some people talking about installing Plex via a docker or via the Communicably application script but I am not able to get it to work,

so is there a simple step by step procedure on how to install Plex, and add any media sources 

Yes, you should use the community applications to install Plex Server.

Read the entries in the docker template and search the forum or google for any options you are unsure about, or ask about those specific options here.

I don't think a 'type this for this option' guide exists because everyone has a unique setup for their shares and file arrangement. Nobody is going to know what your setup looks like without some more information from you.

You aren't going to just be able to click install and not have to think about anything to get it work. 😉

Also, you can check the support thread for the plex docker you are using for more information. The link to it can be found on your docker page, or in it's entry in community applications.

ok I have done as advice and this time I have documented it and post my results here. in the hope that someone can see my mistake.

I went to the Community Applications and choose linuxserver's Repository 

then I enter in the following information for my media source

Host Path /mnt/user/Media/Movies
Host Path  /mnt/user/Media/TV_Shows

then comfirmed it install and allow it to install the application

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' -e TZ="Europe/London" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'VERSION'='latest' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex'
696ef984eb9d23cfad8ee1450306740327fc578468a38b20dbc41bc0113024ea
/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: error while creating mount source path '/mnt/user/appdata/plex': mkdir /mnt/user/appdata/plex: read-only file system.

I also tried it again as default with no person settings and I got

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' -e TZ="Europe/London" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'VERSION'='latest' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex' 

7d952f85ae3db8e4988c6af4f4211d25d3f36de286b9485c728f80711a86deca
/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: error while creating mount source path '/mnt/user/appdata/plex': mkdir /mnt/user/appdata/plex: read-only file system.

The command failed.

where am I going wrong ?

4 minutes ago, chris_netsmart said:

Host Path /mnt/user/Media/Movies

NEED CONTAINER PATH FOR EACH OF THESE
Host Path  /mnt/user/Media/TV_Shows

then comfirmed it install and allow it to install the application

696ef984eb9d23cfad8ee1450306740327fc578468a38b20dbc41bc0113024ea

Looks like you didn't fill in a container path to correspond to those host paths. Possibly you have some other issue as well, maybe with cache or another disk.

Try filling in the container paths I mentioned and if it still doesn't work go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip to your next post.

Also, check out the Getting Started section of the Docker FAQ. You need to understand volume mapping or you will always have to ask the same questions for every docker you try to setup.

thanks for you reply.   late last night I choose to remove it all and start again, but this time I mistakenly choose a different Plex  PlexMediaServer

I filled in the details for this , for the Trancode and Data location, but left the Plex_Claim Token as default

and this seemed to work as I have a working but very slow Plex running.

also I think as I was in the middle of transferring over my Films and TV shows at the same time trying to set up PLEX, I think that there might have been a conflict.

I will read up on the docker FAQ questions, but at this moment I can't see there I need to enter the URL path for this as it looks like this version does not as the user to enter it.