Flash SMB Settings

Squid

Now that the flash SMB share when its set to be exported publicly throws a warning, maybe its time to consolidate the SMB Security settings for the Flash under the Shares Tab, since it's not particularly obvious how to change it.  (Main, Boot Device, Click on "Flash", SMB Security Settings -> isn't really intuitive, but Shares Tab, Click on Flash is)

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2018 at 8:29 PM, Squid said:

...maybe its time to consolidate the SMB Security settings for the Flash under the Shares Tab

This was a long discussion at the time v6 development started some years ago and arguments went both ways.

Eventually the team settled down on the agreement that the flash device is not a regular user share and needs to be treated differently. Hence the implementation as we have it today and before ages.

Personally I like to keep it this way, maybe not intuitive at first (arguable), but not listing it under user shares makes people realize this is something "different".

12 minutes ago, bonienl said:

This was a long discussion at the time v6 development started some years ago and arguments went both ways.

Eventually the team settled down on the agreement that the flash device is not a regular user share and needs to be treated differently. Hence the implementation as we have it today and before ages.

Personally I like to keep it this way, maybe not intuitive at first (arguable), but not listing it under user shares makes people realize this is something "different".

Although I have a lot of sympathy for this view but in my mind the biggest objection I have is that it is not easily ‘discoverable’.   I was thinking that it should appear on the Shares tab, but under the Disk Shares section (regardless of whether disk shares are enabled or not), not the User Shares section.

• Upvote 2
33 minutes ago, itimpi said:

the biggest objection I have is that it is not easily ‘discoverable’.

This. I don't know how to achieve it, but the fact that MANY useful features are exposed when you click on a drive in the main GUI is not really obvious. Yes, the text is obviously a clickable link, but it doesn't jump out at me that you are supposed to click it.

Maybe outline each disk text link with a drop shadow box indicating it's in fact a button?

10 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

This. I don't know how to achieve it, but the fact that MANY useful features are exposed when you click on a drive in the main GUI is not really obvious. Yes, the text is obviously a clickable link, but it doesn't jump out at me that you are supposed to click it.

Maybe outline each disk text link with a drop shadow box indicating it's in fact a button?

Interesting idea.  If it looked more like a 'button' then this might well help with discoverable aspect.   For some reason making it look just like a link does not seem to encourage people to click on it.

It also raises the question of whether Disk Share settings should then be moved to the disk page rather than the Shares page.

Edited by itimpi
1 hour ago, itimpi said:

the biggest objection I have is that it is not easily ‘discoverable’.

The question is "why don't people discover it?"

If it is obvious that device names give access to more information/settings, there is no disadvancement in placement.

25 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Definitely food for thought to improve the intuitive appeal....

Edited by bonienl
On 12/8/2018 at 2:29 PM, Squid said:

Now that the flash SMB share when its set to be exported publicly throws a warning, maybe its time to consolidate the SMB Security settings for the Flash under the Shares Tab, since it's not particularly obvious how to change it.  (Main, Boot Device, Click on "Flash", SMB Security Settings -> isn't really intuitive, but Shares Tab, Click on Flash is)

Thanks for that!  I was trying to figure out how to get rid of that warning forever.  I was, of course, looking under the Shares tab.  Until you typed that out, I would never have guessed it was where it was located.