[SOLVED] Parity Upgrade of Encrypted Array: "Enter New key"

bitcore

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade my dual parity array to larger parity drives. I have an encrypted array of 5 disks. Version: 6.6.5. FS is XFS, LUKS

If I power down the system cleanly, yank a parity drive and swap it with a new, larger disk, then boot: I am greeted with "Encryption status: Enter new key", and all of the drives are listed as "Device to be encrypted." I have not started the array under this condition as the perceived risk of data loss is terrifying.

Boot again with old parity drive, it asks for the existing encryption key, and the array will start fine. Stop array, Unassign a parity disk, and shut down. Swap parity drive with new drive, boot, am met again with "Encryption status: Enter new key" again and all disks are listed as not encrypted yet.

I am out of SATA ports, so I cannot attach the new parity disk while the system is already online without removing a drive.

What do I do? Is this a bug? Thank you in advance.

My intentions are to upgrade one parity disk at a time to maximize my chances of recoverability should a disk failure occur during the parity rebuild.

I decided to start the array in maintenance mode without making any disk assignment changes. The new drive is attached to the server (using the same port the old parity disk was using). If I enter my encryption key into both fields as if I were setting up a new encrypted array - it starts just fine. I'm proceeding forward.

Restarting the array with the new disk assignment appears to be working. Parity is rebuilding. I replaced the first parity disk first (not parity disk 2)

Edited by bitcore

Hi Johnnie.Black,

Thanks for your reassurance.

That GUI behavior/language is a little strange to me, "Enter new key" can easily be interpreted to mean "Your un-decrypted array is about to be encrypted with a new key and your data will then be garbage because I think this is a new array that is at the initial encryption stage"

• 1 year later...
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Parity Upgrade of Encrypted Array: "Enter New key"