Fresh upgrade to V6, shares disappeared! (see bottom of post for diagnostics)

maxse

Have you installed Community Applications plugin yet? It is the normal way to install additional applications (dockers and plugins) now. And the applications you are talking about are no longer supported as plugins so you will need to learn how to setup dockers. Just go to the Apps page after installing Community Applications and you will be able to see the hundreds of applications available.

Here is the Docker FAQ. Read through at least the Getting Started section to get some idea about how dockers are used.

Here is the FAQ for Unraid V6 which includes links to guides and videos near the bottom.

Both of these are 'pinned' (stickies) so they stay near the top of the subforums, and there are other 'pinned' topics as well so be sure to look for those.

Also, V6 has many new and improved features that make it a better NAS than V5. Make sure you setup Notifications to alert you by email or other agent immediately when Unraid detects a problem.

Another plugin many find indispensable is Unassigned Devices which lets you work with disks such as external USB drives. If you used the SNAP plugin before you will get the idea, but UD has other features including working with shares on other computers on your network.

Yes I just finished watching it actually! I followed his tutorial but he skipped going over how to actually set up the docker volume mapping! No wonder I was confused after just watching the sabznbd video first. Been going back and forth researching. Now to figure out the volume mapping so that i could point to a share outside the docker that's set up to use the cache drive. Makes sense :)

Just now, maxse said:

docker volume mapping!

It's one of those things that is actually super simple, but a real pain to explain.  Think of the host path as the path to where the files actually are (which is exactly what it is).  The container path is something like a windows shortcut to that host path.  Within the app you tell it to find / store the files at that shortcut.

Oh boy,

So I finished setting up Sab and figure I would call it a night and get to Radarr tomorrow. In the meantime, I have been adding a second parity that's building in the background during all this.

Well I go to check on it and now all of the shares have disappeared from the network! I am using a Mac and the only thing I see is on the network for for "tower" is "Flash" as in the flash drive. All of the other shares are gone!

They are still showing up within unraid though and still have data on them, thank goodness. 

Is this just something that happens during a second parity build? It doesn't make sense though because the array is showing as started, and usually I can still access the files, read/write to the shares. What's happening?

Wow, so my flash drive's config folder is completely missing! Gone!

How could this be? Unraid is still re-building the 2nd parity, but how could this be? I know I had the config folder because that's where I placed the unraid key file...

I ran the CA backup app, could that have had anything to do with this? I'm so confused.

Ironically, all the shares just started showing up on the network.

I only have 3 folders on the flash right now:  EFI, ss, syslinux. I I go to ss/shares, I can see the individual share names.

But still no config folder!

You could try running the 'df' command from a terminal session to see what shows up as mounted.   The USB drive should show up as mounted on /boot.

It sounds as if the USB drive may have dropped offline.   However I have no idea what the 'ss' folder is as that is not one of the standard ones. I wonder if you have somehow accidentally renamed the 'config' folder to the 'ss' one?  

The CA Backup should not cause this type of issue as far as I know.

I'm thinking your flash must have disconnected as well, but not until after the diagnostics were taken. In addition to your license .key in config, your disk assignments are there in super.dat. So it must have started out OK but not OK now. Probably the contents are what we see in the diagnostics.

Possibly the flash is now being listed in the Unassigned Devices.

If you look in the diagnostics, system/folders.txt shows most of what we expect to see, but config/share.cfg is still missing from that list. My guess is that file is actually missing from flash and the rest of the missing stuff is actually still there.

How much time elapsed/remaining on parity2 sync? If it still has a long way to go maybe stop it and get to the bottom of your flash problem.

Put your flash in your PC and let it checkdisk, then you might try a different USB port, preferably USB2, for your flash drive.

1 hour ago, maxse said:

I ran the CA backup app, could that have had anything to do with this? I'm so confused.

I have seen some people that set that up wrong and wiped their flash, but that has been a while ago and maybe some fix was put in to prevent people from making that mistake. The mistake they would make is trying to tell the plugin the source of the files to backup, when it is actually asking for the destination to write the backup. It already knows the source, but if you mistakenly put the source where it is asking for the destination, then it tries to use the flash as the destination for the backup, resulting in a wiped flash.

Oh mannn. 

2nd parity has about 1 more day left. I just checked at the bottom of unraid and it says “starting services...” at the bottom. 

Oh boy. So what should I do? I did t a clean install and formatted the flash drive when I upgraded. 

shoukd I remove the flash drive, format and reinstall unraid again? Will I still be able to use one of the parity drives that’s done or will I need to rebuild both parities?

I followed the video tutorial from spaceinvador to set up

CA backup. I’ll check what the setting are when I get home? So I shouldn’t try to “restore” the flash backup made by CA backup at this point?

22 minutes ago, maxse said:

So I shouldn’t try to “restore” the flash backup made by CA backup at this point?

Where did you have it put it? If you did make the mistake of telling it to put it on flash then I don't know whether it will be useful or not.

We have also had people put the backup on the array, which of course cannot be accessed until you boot from flash. Not necessarily a show-stopper but you do have to jump through some hoops to get back to where you were.

I have mine go to an NTFS Unassigned Device. I can just plugin it into Windows and read it there. Others put it on a network share on another computer mounted with Unassigned Devices.

And, you can always download a zipped backup of your flash at any time by simply going to Main - Boot Device - Flash - Flash Backup.

30 minutes ago, maxse said:

Oh mannn. 

2nd parity has about 1 more day left. I just checked at the bottom of unraid and it says “starting services...” at the bottom. 

Oh boy. So what should I do? I did t a clean install and formatted the flash drive when I upgraded. 

Might be just as well to stop it and get the other things square. Parity2 is a fairly low priority need.

Let's find out for certain what is on your flash now and we can go from there. Your data shouldn't be in any danger since we have your disk assignments already documented.

Okay so I just got home. My parity time was doubled (10tb drive) it wa down to 1 day left as of last night now it said 2 days. Also when I tried to check the setting for CA backup I couldn’t even open the plugin and also the “Docker” tab disappeared! 

I could access all the shares no problem.

Im attaching a photo what’s on the flash drive and also what my main screen looked like before I cancelled purity and stopped the array.  

So  what should I do? Should I format the flash drive and cache drive and re-instal everything?

i should add they I changed the format on my cache drive to XFS encrypted when I upgraded but not sure if that made a difference. 

I didnt encrypt  any of the other drives yet. Was waiting for dual priory then planned to love the files from one drive to the next and formatting to XFS encrypted. 

Welp!

9FAC957C-1B3F-43B3-8B1F-85F8D1FC0192.jpeg

82FFE8A7-6FAE-4F7E-8380-0465B6AF4F60.jpeg

Okay so I just got home. My parity time was doubled (10tb drive) it wa down to 1 day left as of last night now it said 2 days. Also when I tried to check the setting for CA backup I couldn’t even open the plugin and also the “Docker” tab disappeared! 

I could access all the shares no problem.

Im attaching a photo what’s on the flash drive and also what my main screen looked like before I cancelled purity and stopped the array.  

So  what should I do? Should I format the flash drive and cache drive and re-instal everything?

i should add they I changed the format on my cache drive to XFS encrypted when I upgraded but not sure if that made a difference. 

I didnt encrypt  any of the other drives yet. Was waiting for dual priory then planned to love the files from one drive to the next and formatting to XFS encrypted. 

Welp!

*EDIT*

so it seems the config folder randomly appeared before I shut down the array. 

I plugged the flash drive into my Mac. Attaching the photo of what’s in it. It’s still missing the key file? So confusing. 

9F9B363B-04F8-42EB-A439-427922E69142.jpeg

You have 2 posts with 2 photos of your flash contents. If I am understanding them correctly:

The 1st photo is showing the folder named ss on flash. That folder doesn't normally exist, but it looks like that is the folder that contains most of what should be in config.

The 2nd photo is showing the folder named config and it is very incomplete.

Neither folder has the share.cfg file. I guess you don't have any problems with shares though so maybe not important. Probably it is using the default settings for that if the file doesn't exist.

I am not really inclined to trust the contents of your flash at this point. Do you have a recent backup?

What I usually tell people is to prepare flash as a new install then copy the config folder from their backup. The config folder (normally) contains everything unique to your configuration, including your license and all settings made in the webUI.

The SS folder was highlites before I shut down the array. I opened the config folder after taking flash drive out of server and plugging it into my Mac and realizing that the config folder is there. It’s definiteky missing the key file at least. Very weird. 

I dint have a fkash backup. I just did a clean upgrade from V5 and didn’t Cary over the V5 files. I wanted to start over with the fish’s drive and cache drives but keep my data. So the contents of the flash are only 2 days old. I didn’t delete anything or make any changes... I just took a photo of the drive assignments from v5 and matched it to V6 assignments. He the serial numbers of drives to the drive # in unraid...

what should I do and what do you guys think happened? Should I just format the flash again and format the cache drive and start over?

will I have to rebuild the new parity? Also should I do UEFI allowed? I think I did it allowed initially not sure what that is or if that caused any issues. 

This is is exactly what I was afraid would happen. After running smooth for 5 years that when I had to upgrade it would be a nightmare :(

I can’t afford to loose my data

Edited by maxse

So am I correct that the 1st photo is showing the contents of ss in the right pane? Because that is where all the files missing from config seem to be.

You are unlikely to lose any data unless you do something inadvisable, such as format one of the disks, or try to add one of the disks to a new slot in an array that already has valid parity.

But while we're on the subject of whether or not you can afford to lose any data, do you have backups? Parity is NOT a substitute for backups. You don't have to backup everything, but you must have a plan. You must have a copy of anything important and irreplaceable on another sytem.