Fresh upgrade to V6, shares disappeared! (see bottom of post for diagnostics)

maxse

46 minutes ago, maxse said:

In terms of backing up the flash drive? I thought once everything is set up nothing gets written to the flash drive and it just stores the unraid OS. I guess this is for when I add/remove share names and things like that?

The Unraid OS is stored in archives on flash. These are unpacked into RAM during boot, and the OS runs completely in RAM. I always like to think of Unraid "installing" itself fresh from the archives each time it boots.

After boot, all settings you have made in the webUI (stored in the config folder on flash) are applied to the OS in RAM. Anytime you make any setting in the webUI, those are applied to the OS in RAM and also recorded to flash so they can be applied again at the next boot.

49 minutes ago, maxse said:

Could you help me out with what path I should put into CA Backup given my share that I've created above? I just want to make sure I get this right and don't get things screwed up again. Although, I am fairly certain I followed the guide step=by-step which made sense, so no idea what caused this. Hoping unraid will be smooth going forward like it was before.

CA Backup has its own support thread. You can get to the support thread for any plugin or docker from the Apps page by clicking its Support link, and you can also get to the support page for an installed docker by clicking on its icon and selecting Support. The main documentation for any plugin or docker is in the initial post in its support thread.

CA Backup doesn't backup the whole cache. It just backs up appdata, flash, and libvirt.img

Your user share named 'backup' is at /mnt/user/backup. Your appdata (source) is whatever you have set in Settings - Docker. You could put appdata backup at /mnt/user/backup/appdata for example.

In CA Backup, your flash backup will go where you specify as USB Backup Destination. I recommend using some path to an external drive or a network share so you can access it without booting Unraid, since the purpose of flash backup is to get you back to being able to boot Unraid. You would configure these external paths using the Unassigned Devices plugin. UD of course has its own support thread.

libvirt.img only applies if you have VMs (I don't) but it works similarly.

You can take each of these separately as needed. You already know how to manually download a zipped backup of your flash so you don't necessarily have to use CA Backup for that. But CA Backup does allow you to schedule the backups it makes so they will happen automatically.

On 12/10/2018 at 9:12 PM, trurl said:

You have 2 posts with 2 photos of your flash contents. If I am understanding them correctly:

The 1st photo is showing the folder named ss on flash. That folder doesn't normally exist, but it looks like that is the folder that contains most of what should be in config.

The 2nd photo is showing the folder named config and it is very incomplete.

Neither folder has the share.cfg file. I guess you don't have any problems with shares though so maybe not important. Probably it is using the default settings for that if the file doesn't exist.

I am not really inclined to trust the contents of your flash at this point. Do you have a recent backup?

What I usually tell people is to prepare flash as a new install then copy the config folder from their backup. The config folder (normally) contains everything unique to your configuration, including your license and all settings made in the webUI.

Guys,

Could I have somehow loaded a crypto virus??? I see from the screenshot that I posted from when this happened, theres a file called secrets.db. 

I just came across a post by another user here who did get hit with a cryptovirus, and his screen shots show the same file! I don't see any file called secrets.db super.dat on my flash drive now in any of the folder on the flash drive.

The post is on the second page by brianbrifri. Not sure if it's just a normal file when I load dockers (I haven't loaded anything yet this time around, waiting for backup and parity to finish before doing anything else). Just trying to figure out what happened and to prevent it from happening again

Edited by maxse

I don't see anything unusual. I reviewed that thread you linked and the ultimate cause of the problems was the user had put his server in the DMZ and so it was totally exposed to the internet.

Not sure about secrets.tdb. I don't have one but some googling seems to indicate it is related to SMB which is the protocol most often used for sharing files on the network. Most of us are using SMB but I'm not sure what would cause secrets.tdb to be created. Probably just some plugin or docker you were using that I don't have.

As for super.dat, you do have that in config, as does everyone who has ever started their Unraid array, since it is the file where your disk assignments are stored.

21 minutes ago, trurl said:

but I'm not sure what would cause secrets.tdb

From googling unraid secrets.tdb, it seems it was present on at least 4.7 and some 5.x for a while (/boot/config).  Since @maxse joined in 2012, it is reasonable to assume (if still using the same flash) that the file is still there, but no longer used

Okay thanks guys,

secrets.tdb couldn't have been there from before since I formatted the flash drive when I upgraded to V6 from V5...

Oh well, I guess it was just a fluke lol, very strange... But so far party has been running smooth. Hopefully once I load the dockers I won't have this issue again.

On a positive note, I just ordered some part to upgrade my unraid server. Going to get rid of the mac mini, got an i3 8th gen to allow plex transcoding. Thanks so much guys!